Brewfather Alkalinity Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddsy

Regular.
Reaction score
So after learning much from strange-steves Beginners Guide to Water Treatment I have done a couple of brews adjusting my Alkalinity down from 228ppm to 30ppm for a hoppy beer using CRS.

I have my water profile saved in Brewfather and it will calculate additions to alter magnesium, calcium etc. but I can’t see anywhere to allow it to calculate CRS additions.

In brewfather the alkalinity seems to be very much down the list.

It is there but I think its value is a product of the other compounds (Bicarbonate HCO3)

Water Profile.jpg

Seems such a fundamental part of the water treatment is under represented in Brewfather. Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

buddsy

I can’t see anywhere to allow it to calculate CRS additions.
I've never used Brewfather but if it's an American app it likely doesn't have CRS as an option, I don't think CRS is available across the pond.
I think its value is a product of the other compounds (Bicarbonate HCO3)
Bicarbonate is just another way of representing alkalinity, you can convert to bicarbonate by multiplying the alkalinity as CaCO3 by 1.22.

I've never used Brewfather but if it's an American app it likely doesn't have CRS as an option, I don't think CRS is available across the pond.
Steve is correct in that Brewfather doesn't support CRS. There has been a request put in to Thomas, the developer, for this to be added and he did ask for a CRS datasheet a while back, but its been a bit quiet since then. If you are on Faceache, it is worth joining the Brewfather group and asking for an update on there, as the more users who ask for it the better.

Bicarbonate is just another way of representing alkalinity, you can convert to bicarbonate by multiplying the alkalinity as CaCO3 by 1.22.
To get over this in Brewfather I did CRS additions and worked out the change in Cl and SO4. I then edited my water profile on brewfather to show my tap water adjusted to 30ppm alkalinity as an option to select as a starting water profile. Hope this helps

To get over this in Brewfather I did CRS additions and worked out the change in Cl and SO4. I then edited my water profile on brewfather to show my tap water adjusted to 30ppm alkalinity as an option to select as a starting water profile. Hope this helps
Yep that's one way around it thumb.

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't sure if it was just me missing it.

Its fine to do work arounds but with the software doing the other additions it seems strange it doesn't do the Alkalinity too.

Steve thanks for the explanation of bicarbonate...I wondered why my local water report didnt contain this.

buddsy

Latest posts

Back