Brewferm, Abdij review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was hoping to do this as my next brew and store till this coming xmas, would I be good to put into 750ml swing tops and should it be coming into good shape if I brew this month into early april and keep till then ??

750ml! I put mine in 330ml bottles but each to his own.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

That should be fine. Except I'd use smaller bottles if I were you. It's powerful stuff. You're not going to want to drink more than half a pint of it at a time, let alone 750ml! Unless you have other plans...

Awesome. This will be my next brew. :thumb:

Did you use a secondary vessel as they say?

Yes 14 days in primary and 7 days in secondary used dark candi sugar, bottled 11th Jan.

opened first glass bottle 07/03/2015 delicious 7.35% - hidden away til xmas.**

** OK to be honest, put in shed and dumped a load of **** on top of bottles to keep away from temptation.

:pray:]

Yes 14 days in primary and 7 days in secondary used dark candi sugar, bottled 11th Jan.

opened first glass bottle 07/03/2015 delicious 7.35% - hidden away til xmas.**

** OK to be honest, put in shed and dumped a load of **** on top of bottles to keep away from temptation.

:pray:]

For me it was in primary for 10 days, by which time the airlock had pretty much stopped bubbling. It's currently in two demijohns with airlocks by way of a secondary FV, and the airlocks have now stopped bubbling completely. I'm going to bottle it on Sunday (Mother's Day...), which will make 10 days in the secondary FV. Then I'm going to keep them at room temp for a while (minimum two weeks), and then in my cold cupboard at Christmas. I might try a bottle around September time, to make sure everything is going smoothly... ;)

That should be fine. Except I'd use smaller bottles if I were you. It's powerful stuff. You're not going to want to drink more than half a pint of it at a time, let alone 750ml! Unless you have other plans...
I hear you on the smaller bottles, I do like an occassional sit down of an xmas holiday and would happily get thru a 750ml :) as to opening a 2nd in the same session ??

I brewed this did not care much for it infact i have another kit free to a good home collection only from ts22 pm me if anyone would like it

I brewed this did not care much for it infact i have another kit free to a good home collection only from ts22 pm me if anyone would like it

I'll pay the postage to take it off your hands (I realise you said collection only, but it's worth a shot...)

I hear you on the smaller bottles, I do like an occassional sit down of an xmas holiday and would happily get thru a 750ml :) as to opening a 2nd in the same session ??

I have acquired a love of 750ml bottles of belgian ale. Had a 10% 750ml bottle to myself last week :-). Beer ends where wine starts and I know many people who can polish off a bottle of 12% on their own. So a 750ml bottle of ale is no hardship! :cheers:

I'm TS25, let me know if it needs a good home!

I'm TS25, let me know if it needs a good home!

Sorry its the brewferm ambiorix that i have your more than welcome to it if you would like to collect it on sunday pm me if you do and il send you my address
Regards Steve

I'll be popping the lid on a bottle of Brewferm Triple tomorrow night, fingers crossed, good pressure and carbonation, then cold storage for 6 weeks (I hope). Starting a Diabolo next :evil:

I've brewed the Brewferm Ambiorix kit which the instructions suggest leaving 6-8 weeks before drinking. I had one bottle to check it had carbonated before moving into cold storage and it was already lovely. Roll on mid June when I can finally try another!

Hi guys,

I've just set this one off as my second home-brew (Did the Brewferm Tarwebier first). Would it be recommended to transfer this to a secondary FV or to just bottle it? When I did my first brew I just bottled it and let it condition there. I tried my first bottle last night after 4 weeks conditioning and it's turned out nicely.

The instructions say either, so what do people think I should do?

Hi guys,

I've just set this one off as my second home-brew (Did the Brewferm Tarwebier first). Would it be recommended to transfer this to a secondary FV or to just bottle it? When I did my first brew I just bottled it and let it condition there. I tried my first bottle last night after 4 weeks conditioning and it's turned out nicely.

The instructions say either, so what do people think I should do?

I transferred to secondary and had the smallest amount of sediment in any of my brews to date so from that point it was a success. My taster samples have been under carbonated despite following the instructions.

My thoughts are as follows: if using the yeast in the kit, where you have less confidence about yeast viability and storage don't rack to secondary, don't want to filter out any of the few hardworking yeasties. (I used the kit yeast which seemed incredibly lazy.) if swapping out with a separate packet yeast then rack. I'll be using a separate yeast next time, as the abdij is absolutely worth repeating for xmas 2016 :-D

There's as much head as you get with a brewdog hardcore ipa (or tesco finest IPA - i.e. none!) you should get at least 1 finger of head with this style. - Trust me I've spent the last 10 years of drinking abbey beers in Belgium & the Netherlands whilst on holiday in centre parcs :D

I transferred to secondary and had the smallest amount of sediment in any of my brews to date so from that point it was a success. My taster samples have been under carbonated despite following the instructions.

My thoughts are as follows: if using the yeast in the kit, where you have less confidence about yeast viability and storage don't rack to secondary, don't want to filter out any of the few hardworking yeasties. (I used the kit yeast which seemed incredibly lazy.) if swapping out with a separate packet yeast then rack. I'll be using a separate yeast next time, as the abdij is absolutely worth repeating for xmas 2016 :-D

There's as much head as you get with a brewdog hardcore ipa (or tesco finest IPA - i.e. none!) you should get at least 1 finger of head with this style. - Trust me I've spent the last 10 years of drinking abbey beers in Belgium & the Netherlands whilst on holiday in centre parcs :D

Thanks a lot. I guess I'll bottle it from the first FV then. :thumb:

I've had one of these kits sitting in the shed for a while and I've just noticed it's out of date by a good few months. I presume using the kit yeast would now be too risky. Can anyone recommend a replacement?

Cheers.

Back