Brewferm Gallia

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowl sprayer

Reaction score
I brewed this kit as per the instructions but I added 680grams of golden syrup as the extra fermentables. I left it for 3 weeks fermenting then racked for 2 weeks. I bottled when it was totally clear. Primed with a teaspoon of dextrose in 500 ml bottles. This has given just the right amount of carbonation. I have found commercial bottled Belgian beers to be as fizzy as warm lager! IMHO not at all appropriate to the style of beer.

Bottled end of September. It has improved over the last 4-6 weeks as all Brewferm kits do. There is no hint of homebrew at all.

If I were brewing it again I would use dme not golden syrup or double up with two kits in one fv and use a mix of both. I think this would have improved the final flavour and lacing/head retention. It kept its head to the bottom of the glass but not much lacing on the way there.

As for the final result it is a light red/brown colour. It has come out at around 5%. In my opinion not the sort of Belgian beer that needs to be served short in 300 ml bottles.

It has more hop bitterness than some of the other Brewferm kits, no bad thing. It is similar in flavour to Diabolo but lighter in its alcohol content and slightly less maltiness with greater level of hop bitterness. I think using dme might have balanced it a bit more. It isn't a problem, but I think malt extract leaves a small amount of residual sweetness. Brewed with golden syrup has left it possibly dryer than if brewed with dme. Still a great drink though.

It has soft malt flavour with a honey finish and then you get the lingering hop bitterness. Good thirst quencher. Definitely one to brew again.

I have never had a bad beer with Brewferm. I very highly recommend the Diabolo and Grand Cru. The Grand Cru turned out identical to Leffe Blonde. Brew them for 3-4weeks, rack them for at least 2 preferably in the cold and then bottle condition for 6. The results form these have been frankly amazing.

The Gallia is also very good.

Just received this in the post form a mate for my birthday.

Its the only Brewferm one I am yet to make that isn't "fruity" (cherry / raspberry). All of the have been wonderful, but the Diablo is still the bomb.

I usually use Golden Syrup instead of sugar but wondering if with this being a lighter beer, whether DME or just sugar may be better?

Just tasting a Gallia that has been bottled 2 weeks ago. Very nice I must say. Goes down really easy! Tasty!
I substituted half the sugar with dried wheat malt extract.
I'm looking forward to tasting this when it's matured.

Latest posts

Back