Brewferm Grain Gorilla

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdeDunn

Reaction score
So, took the plunge and bought a malt mill, Brewferm Grain Gorilla from Get Er Brewed. Been having trouble with the crushed malt I have been too fine and lots of it passing through the holes in the malt basket on my new machine, then clogging up the pipes (it gets stuck on the barb part of 1 particular QD fitting leading to the pump), so figured crushing my own was probably the simplest solution. ;)

This isn't a review, as I haven't used it yet, but anyway, 5 litre hopper on it made of aluminium, stainless steel rollers (2 of), nice knob to set crush size (no, I don't mean me...lol).

IMG_20200805_122541.jpgIMG_20200805_122458.jpg
IMG_20200805_122429.jpgIMG_20200805_122422.jpg
IMG_20200805_121648.jpgIMG_20200805_121641.jpg
IMG_20200805_115400.jpg

It’s an impressive looking mill. I particularly like the gap measure knob, my Bulldog mill is a right PITA to change the gap.

I've been tempted by this and your photos are making it all the more tempting. Maybe one for the Xmas list.

Does it come pre calibrated?
You know, I'm not sure? Description says "Adjustable rollers: Choose your ideal grist size with the handy side knobs; roller gap adjustable from 0.025 inch (0.6 mm) to 0.1 inch ( 2.5 mm) " (there's an identical knob on each side) but also "On the back of the malt mill the 2 black turnbuckles guarantee that the settings of the malt mill remain the same during the crushing. " and I don't know if they are set exactly right when you get it.... I've looked at feeler gauges, but every listing I find appears to be plastered in oil....

[edit] found some guitar feeler gauges of the right size that hopefully won't be plastered in oil...[/edit]

Get some feeler gages and check what you’re roller gap is. I think my mill is set about 0.7mm and gives a nice fine crush without too much flour

Already ordered bud. Setting on this mill is via a graduated knob complete with numbers that are supposed to correlate with the roller gap. I want the gauges though to check, as Clint rightly asked, if the mill is properly calibrated as there are also 2 black knobs on the back where you'd normally take the plate off for cleaning.

The graduations are pretty accurate in the fact that the rollers are evenly spaced, the two black knobs are the locking screws, so they get backed off for adjusting the gap and tightened up when setting is set.

Regardless of any knobs and markings the roller gaps still need to be checked for true.. manually,with feelers,and for any further uses. Fwiw...feelers usually come covered in oil...solvent will shift it.

So, took the plunge and bought a malt mill, Brewferm Grain Gorilla from Get Er Brewed. Been having trouble with the crushed malt I have been too fine and lots of it passing through the holes in the malt basket on my new machine, then clogging up the pipes (it gets stuck on the barb part of 1 particular QD fitting leading to the pump), so figured crushing my own was probably the simplest solution. ;)

This isn't a review, as I haven't used it yet, but anyway, 5 litre hopper on it made of aluminium, stainless steel rollers (2 of), nice knob to set crush size (no, I don't mean me...lol).

View attachment 30415View attachment 30416
View attachment 30417View attachment 30418
View attachment 30419View attachment 30420
View attachment 30421
Hi mate
Just ordered the same one from the same place 2 questions have you used it yet and if so what bucket to catch the grain do you use. I have a old fermenting bin wondering if this would fit or I could scrounge one of the plastic buckets the chip shops use to to keep their cooking oil in.

Yeah, used it a couple of times. It'll fit on a fermenting bin fine, the base will fit a variety of diameters. I use a smaller one on inner notches.

IMG_20200819_110426.jpg

I tried it with a cordless drill first, but found I got a really uneven grind, although it was faster. I got a much more even grind using the supplied handle. Adjusting was super easy, just loosen the 2 black knob things, set the knobs on each side to the desired width, tighten the black knob things again. Be careful not to accidentally wind the handle backwards though, as if you do you'll end up with whole un-ground grain going through.

The other thing I found is that I had to regularly give the hopper a tap as the grain would sit above the rollers, rather than been grabbed and pulled through. No biggy, but yeah if you find suddenly that it's super easy to turn the handle, and nothing is coming out, that's why... Could be I just don't have the method down yet, but hey, it worked. I got a super clear wort into the FV, and no grain in my pipework on my machine as I was able to grind to a size to suit the machine. As this was my goal, it was a win for me.

IMG_20200819_213529 1.jpg

Thanks for the reply looks like I've made the right decision in getting this one. I wondered if a drill would be suitable or not I was planning to use the handle supplied.
Nice one decent pictures too.

It's a decent mill, just a shame it doesn't have a 3rd roller, then it'd be perfect. Oh and the plastic thing around the top of the hopper kept coming off...

Looks like the plastic edging strip is similar to stuff we have at work it grips like anything. I read that a 3rd roller may be good also seen people saying they can get jammed up dont know how common that is. Just 1 more question how many times do you put it through just the once?

Latest posts

Back