Brewferm 'Grand Cru' Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed out for 3 weeks, racked for 2. Bottled 17th September.
Great example of quality Belgian beer. Warm, rounded, rich and complex malty flavours with a cheeky floral notes buried in it and a pleasant sweetish finish.
It is still young but very drinkable.
I bottled with 1 teaspoon of brewing sugar (dextrose) into PET bottles. Just the right amount of carbonation. Subtle fizz.
Has chill haze as I couldn't really cool it down enough as it sat after the primary. It does not affect the flavour as far as I can tell.
You gotta love the Belgian monks they do produce great beer.

Bottled mine this morning after 3 weeks in FV, racked halfway through. Batch primed with some leftover candi syrup and bottled in 330ml Duvel steinies plus a 250ml clear PET tester. I conspired to brew this a little long so have ended up with 6.9% prior to conditioning. Not a disaster but a lesson to be learned nonetheless.

Plan on leaving this until at least the new year.

This has been in the bottle since 17th September, so a good 6 weeks conditioning, and what a massive difference. It was good to start with but is now superb.

Taste wise it is an almost exact copy of Leffe Blond. I compared it last night to the real thing. I could not distinguish any difference. It has the same flavour, described as "herbal". I have no idea what they flavour it with. If anyone knows please let me into the secret.

Mine is a tad darker in appearance. Overall a truly great beer. Never thought I could brew something on a par with a leading commercially brewed beer.

Hi All

Just started this tonight after very successful results with both Oranje Bock and Diabolo

This smells lovely even whilst just mixing the contents

Have used 500g of candi sugar, but found the og was a little low so topped this up with about 150g of golden syrup (approx. - just tipped some in and then took another reading)

Looking forward to see who this goes

Will keep the forum posted

This was my second ever kit and had a bit of a cock-up on the fermentable front by not grasping the difference between candi sugar and candi sugar syrup. I used the latter and ended up with a relatively low ABV. It was still 7% so not a big problem. Unfortunately, I also primed with candi syrup so my beer is a little under-carbonated.

Despite all this, I'm still pretty happy with the results. Bottled in October and had the first couple last weekend. The carbonation is not too far off as there is a reasonable head but it does feel slightly flat. Taste is really good, though so I'm sure I'll have another go at this at some point.

I can't imagine that priming material make much (if any) difference so will probably stick to plain old cheap sugar in future.

Just bottled this tonight

Taste from a small sample is excellent - I would concur with those who have likened it to Leffe Blonde

I would say its very similar, but has a lot more kick being 8%

2 weeks in the warmth for the bottles then off out to the garage (or should I say.....the beer conditioning house :D ) for its long rest

Will update in a couple of months

happy drinking one and all

Hi All

Just cracked open a "sampler" bottle of this to test carbonation

Am v. v. impressed

Very much like Leffe Blonde but with a much bigger alcohol kick

Am sure this will settle with time, but don't get me wrong, I would be very happy to be poured a glass of this in any Belgian beer bar#

As with all Brewferm kits - follow the destructions and you will get any excellent drink as a result

Put one of these kits on over the weekend, brewed with normal white sugar as to be honest I couldn't be bothered to make the candi sugar, anyone else brewed with normal household sugar and got good results?

Think I also brewed it slightly too long maybe 9.5 litres, got OG of 1.070 instead of stated 1.075.

Put one of these kits on over the weekend, brewed with normal white sugar as to be honest I couldn't be bothered to make the candi sugar, anyone else brewed with normal household sugar and got good results?

Think I also brewed it slightly too long maybe 9.5 litres, got OG of 1.070 instead of stated 1.075.

It's a strong brew this one Andy so it will probably be OK, mine came out at 7.8% and it does take ages to mature so be patient. :hat:

Thanks Monte Cristo

Yes going to leave for 18 months in the bottle! Thinking of getting a few more Brewferm kits on as they take so long to mature, thinking of Diablo and Triple etc

Thanks

This has been in the bottle for 6 weeks now and I decided to test it out with my friends at a recent BBQ I hosted.

Some rather tiddly people left my house that evening; glowing reviews and faces galore.

I've just drunk the obligatory "carb checker" bottle of this. All I can say is........ WOW! This beer is beyond awesome!
I brewed a double batch to the letter, including a two week secondary ferment, using Tesco Ashbeck water.
If it's this good now, God knows how good it'll be once it's conditioned! Can't wait!
I'm a very happy chappy. :)

I've just drunk the obligatory "carb checker" bottle of this. All I can say is........ WOW! This beer is beyond awesome!
I brewed a double batch to the letter, including a two week secondary ferment, using Tesco Ashbeck water.
If it's this good now, God knows how good it'll be once it's conditioned! Can't wait!
I'm a very happy chappy. :)

awesome, really pleased for you. I was tempted to try an abdij I bottled 11th Jan but already had a 'carb tester' on 7th March and that was superb then. Will have to do a double batch like you ready for xmas. :party:

I'm about to start this - I did the Diablo previously, and while it came out really tasty I overprimed to the extent that I couldn't pour in one go without the head overflowing - because I was pouring in 2-3 stages I couldn't prevent the sediment going in the glass.

So, my question is how much sugar should I use to prime each 330ml bottle? I only bottle prime, don't really have the capability to batch prime, so if anyone can guide me I'd be very grateful...

I'm about to start this - I did the Diablo previously, and while it came out really tasty I overprimed to the extent that I couldn't pour in one go without the head overflowing - because I was pouring in 2-3 stages I couldn't prevent the sediment going in the glass.

So, my question is how much sugar should I use to prime each 330ml bottle? I only bottle prime, don't really have the capability to batch prime, so if anyone can guide me I'd be very grateful...

between 4-8g per liter depending on how fizzy you want it. how much did you put in last time?

Can't remember if I went with a half or full teaspoon. I'm going to guess the full teaspoon based on how lively it was...

Have one of these in the fermenter. Am a complete newcomer and this was my second kit. Couple of bits of advice for any other newcomer who's using Candi sugar; I dissolved the sugar in water before adding to the kit mixture - smash the candi sugar into small pieces as possible - it will speed up dissolving. Also to dissolve the candi sugar you need to seriously increase the temperature of the water which means you'll need to wait quite a time before the temperature reduces enough to pitch yeast. Instructions say about 20C but I pitched at about 25 and think I got away with it, I put the fermenter in bath of cold water to reduce temperature. 6 days in it smells very good - just another 6 months to wait!

I use candy sugar with all BrewFerm kits and touch wood they have all turned great. Grand Cru is my favourite one to date, but to be honest I like them all. I have not waited 6 months+ before I try them, as I have usually finished them off a couple of months before. As a result I have gone through the process of brewing 4 Brewferm kits one after another in an attempt to get me past 6 months to see if they are really better the longer you leave them. This year I'm brewing a couple of all grain Belgium beers, and hopefully they will be even better..

I am drinking this but to me its overcarbed, great beer but i knew i shouldnt have followed Brewferm instructions, 72g for 9l. .???
Maybe it will mellow

I am drinking this but to me its overcarbed, great beer but i knew i shouldnt have followed Brewferm instructions, 72g for 9l. .???
Maybe it will mellow

I use 150-160g for 21 litres so it's not too far off the mark, but if you prefer a bit less carb and the FG hadn't fully stopped then you could get more carbing that you want.

have you tried super-chilling before pouring and wetting the glass first?

Latest posts

Back