Brewferm Kriek Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well first venture back into kits after 3 yrs Of AG. Doing this as I don't want the hassle of finding and making this beer in AG. Kind of a nice to try it but wouldn't make them again type things. And you lot are raving about kits so why not.

I did this kit with 500grm of Candi Syrup and 200grm of Brewers sugar.
Fermented at 21c constant, OG came out at 1.061 FG seems to be at 1.010 after 6 days it's now moved to secondary Fv for another 4 days or so.
I will note this yeast supplied with it is a very loose non compacting type yeast. Very little movement to get it moving.

Will update as this ages :thumb:

Update 28/2/12

Bottled this up today, but didn't read the instructions before mixing up my sugar I went with 50grm as I would normally bottle half batches. The instructions ask for double that :shock: either this beer type is meant to be super fizzy or it wouldn't fully ferment out leaving it sweet??

Well 1 week in the bottle and it looks like this

6d9e4c41-427a-3bad.jpg

Not a bad pint, the wife likes it so it's a winner here :D

Im a bit of a conisseur (sp) on kriek beers. They are sweet but also very sour to balance, they are also very lively. Now heres the thing. Brewferm Kriek is definatley not commercial kriek, its more like a dark cherry flavoured ale. I dont think that you want too much carbonation with this brew.

I did the Kriek back in early February 2012, and bottled in early March 2012, had a couple of these since, and very pleasant, a nice sour fruity taste, I need to compare it side by side to the real thing, but I was surprised how drinkable it was.

Heres one I poured tonight, although I couldn't see through the bottle and added a bit of sediment by accident, hence it was a little cloudy - I poured one for my neighbour and I last night, and they were crystal clear:

IMG_0374_zps6317af47.jpg

picked one of these up at runcorn homebrew supermarket because it was only £19 rather than the £25 that i had seen it as previously, havnt brewed it yet but ill be putting it on in the next couple of weeks so will post back here then

Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.

Thin. No body. Poor Mouthfeel. Artificial bitter taste. Little cherry flavour. No sourness.

If I add a shot of lemon juice it becomes palatable.

Definitely not worth the money.

jonewer said:
Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.

Thin. No body. Poor Mouthfeel. Artificial bitter taste. Little cherry flavour. No sourness.

If I add a shot of lemon juice it becomes palatable.

Definitely not worth the money.

My batch was only just drinkable after 6 months. It was at its best 12 months later... on the last bottle.. bugger.

D

I've picked a Kriek up today (plus two other Brewferms), at a discount, despite the mixed reviews. Just interested to know what temperature you fermented yours at (?) The old kit instructions say 25C, the more recent say 20-23C.

Latest posts

Back