Brewferm variety mixtures...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astralbrew

Reaction score
Hello all,
Haven't been posting for a while... but still brewing.
Still having the occasional stinky slop, but overall pretty good brews.
So now i plan to mix things up a little.... A local supermarket sells Brewferm kits at 8.60€,, so as you can imagine i have bought too many... can't help myself.

Gonna try these mixes

Imperial stout - Pilsner
Imperial Stout - Strong Blonde
English IPA - Imperial Stout
English IPA - Strong Blonde
They are all 1.5kg cans,, gonna do 15 litres per brew, as they have varying yields on the tins... Will use mangrove jacks yeasts, liberty ale and empire...

What do you think ?...
should be enough sugars so i don't need to add, but welcome all tips and tweaks...

Standard Stainless steel fermenters, will dry hop after 5-6 days (IPA types) and transfer to secondary tub at about 10 days.

Salut

Sounds good - I used to love a twocan - brewing that short with two cans will give strong flavours, but that is no bad thing.

I wouldn't personally transfer, but each to their own - I used to and never had any issues, I just don't bother to now.

Would you dry hop ahead of transferring, or hop in your final vessel? Can you cold crash?

Hi Crow

The transfer thing, is an issue for me,as it increases the risk of contamination....but also seems to get things clearer/cleaner...
Yes i hop in the primary tub, do the transfer, and then leave it all in my cellar, pretty cool in there, for a week, so it is sort of a cold crash...
Have a toucan imperial stout finishing off in the secondary,, added cacao powder after 5 days, for an attempt at a chocolate finish... here's hoping....

Sounds great. I love a very hoppy beer and found if I leave it more than three days between hopping and keg/bottling I loose some of the punch u want, but obviously totally down to the flavours you are looking for. Anyway, enjoy, they sound lovely!

IMG_20220304_154055_804.jpg
In the pot.IMG_20220304_152806807.jpg

Added 250g of soft brown sugar, unrefined... And went for 20 litres.
SG 1046, am happy with that.

So, the Stout is already bottled and hopefully getting it's bubbles in order... Tasted pretty good, maybe a little more bitter than i expected, perhaps that's the cacao powder effect ?.... we'll see..
Hopping the IPA/ Blonde mix today,,, it smells sweet and groovy,, real good fermentation, steady and frequent airlock activity....
So far so good...

Latest posts

Back