Brewing Allotment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDad

'Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat'
Reaction score
I’ve got the chance of an allotment and wondered if this could be advantageous to my wine or beer making hobby.

Many fruits and vegetables are cheap and easy to buy but could I perhaps dedicate my allotment to items to help me make beers and wines? Perhaps things hard to find or expensive to buy but simple to grow.

I’m no garden expert so nothing too complicated but simple and easy to grow.
Any suggestions at all?

Parsnips, beetroot, fruit canes, hop bine? I'm pretty sure I recall parsnip wine being referred to as 'Tanglefoot', because after a couple of glasses that's what happens. Beetroot you already know about, on your fruit canes you could have raspberries, blueberries etc, and if you've got enough space (upwards and outwards) and wind protection, then bang a bine in! I once had a grapevine which I kept trimmed to 6 feet across (a fence panel width), and maybe you could also have some strawberries? Seems all soft fruit is expensive so much cheaper to grow your own.

I have an allotment. This year we had an abundance of gooseberries (again) from a mature bush, so rather than make crumbles, jam, chutney, or even gooseberry ice cream, I have made gooseberry wine which seems to be shaping up nicely.
However, unless you have mature fruit bushes on your allotment, it will be a few seasons before they fruit in quantity from any new bushes you plant. Veggies are easier to grow in sufficient quantity to make wine if that's what you want to do rather than eat the stuff, and you will in time find what grows best in your area. Typically I can grow parsnips without problems, but gave up on carrots which in any case are cheap to buy. And you will find that in some years one type of veg grows better than in other years.
Finally the success of any allotment is proportional to the amount of effort you are prepared to put in. It can be very time consuming especially in the spring. I am retired so I can afford the time; if I worked I wouldn't be able to do it

Back