Brewing app

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

Not sure which forum this should be in so starting here. My phone is about to give up the ghost and I have been using BrewShop which inexplicably doesn't seem to sync to any cloud storage. Therefore I am about to lose an inventory of about 35 brews. I am looking for a way to extract them but in the meantime looking for tips for what others use. I prefer simplicity so the ability to put my ingredients in, hopefully to an app that has an inventory of common ingredients and their typical attributes and a list of style profiles with recommended levels etc. If there was a hydrometer temp calculator and a SG to plato converter it would be a bonus but not essential.

I have Wort but I find it a bit fiddly. I just downloaded Brewfather which looks promising but again the display is a bit cluttered, I want a screen that just gives me the basics that I can drill to if needed.

Anyone got any suggestions or recommendations? BrewShop was working well for me other than the lack of cloud storage and the fact the inventory was a bit limited and the list of styles also.

Cheers,

Allan

I use the Brewers friend app which syncs to the cloud as mentioned by @foxy above which also has a Windows app which is OK but has the advantages of adding inventory with prices for costing your brew and keeping stock deducting as you brew.

Partner to THBF, Brewer's Friend, has just announced a full redesign of it's recipe builder, calculators and other brewing tools. If your not married to another software or just want to try something new, check out Brewer's Friend and show your support.
Brewer's Friend

Last edited:
Partner to THBF, Brewer's Friend, has just announced a full redesign of it's recipe builder, calculators and other brewing tools. If your not married to another software or just want to try something new, check out Brewer's Friend and show your support.
Brewer's Friend
I'm a Beta user for the app which is BTW though is also going to get an upgrade.

Brewer's Friend Beer Brewing Software

Mobile Apps
For the past several months we have been very hard at work rewriting the entire software architecture of Brewer's Friend for the goal of releasing fully functional Apple & Android mobile applications. From our last survey, we realized that mobile apps were crucial to our users so it’s been a core focus for us. We are in the final stretch and estimate that within just a few months we will have updated apps released on both platforms.

These apps will include every single feature Brewer's Friend currently has along with a modern user interface. We understand that the old apps lacked many features as well as an updated style.

Importantly, as Brewer's Friend refines and gets new features, with our new unified codebase the mobile applications will be updated in near sync. So once released, web or mobile app, you will be able to enjoy a seamless experience of Brewer's Friend and all of it's features.
Survey

Feedback from you is vital to know that we are focusing on the correct things for homebrewers. We take it very seriously, so if you have a few minutes it would be highly appreciated. It does very much make a difference in what we prioritize.

We’d love to have you as a Trial Member at Brewer’s Friend- you can use all of the features of the Premium version, and see what you think! If you have any questions, please shoot us a message and we’ll be glad to help out.

We’d love to have you as a Trial Member at Brewer’s Friend- you can use all of the features of the Premium version, and see what you think! If you have any questions, please shoot us a message and we’ll be glad to help out.
If I recollect it was a 3 month trial when purchased /signed up.
@BrewersFriend would it be possible to have a section on the mobile app to update inventory and also to import a water calculator with your own water profile please. Sorry I haven't filled in the survey but giving my opinion now.
PS make the app more widely available as its no longer available on Google play though the app can be transferred after backup.

Hello chaps,

I've been using Brewfather last whole year. It is cloud driven as a web.app which can be run from any chrome like browser (might work on others) I think there is a free subscription which support 10 recipes but you don't have access to extra features. I have full version which is 19 dollars annually (worth every penny). The app is just amazing you have all sort of calculators, recipe builders, massive inventory and it even supports equipment I use (can upload recipe straight to my Grainfather and fully control it from a a browser) without using Grainfather's native app. It has support for Tilt too which is amazing as within the brewfather each brew has got fermentation log. Below example of my current brew. To me it's basically all in one for all my needs. The ingredients data base is huge too. Well no point really talking much here, grab the free subscription and see if it suits you.
2020-11-07 10_11_00-Brewfather - Brave.png

I've been using Beer Smith for few years before but its not very universal across different devices doesn't sync and it just looks old....

Thanks for the replies. I would love to use Brewers Friend at least to try it out, I often visit their site to use some of the individual calculators. But I can't find an Android app anywhere? It is not in the Play store and the website tries to redirect to the store and hangs. I saw on some forums it is no longer supported? I am not interested in a web browser solution as I brew in my cellar, sometimes the wifi is spotty and I prefer an app where everything is there together and inventory etc linked to the cloud. it seems really bizarre that they would not support Android, given how massive the platform is??

Am I missing something? Really keen to use it but it doesn't seem it exists?

Thanks for the replies. I would love to use Brewers Friend at least to try it out, I often visit their site to use some of the individual calculators. But I can't find an Android app anywhere? It is not in the Play store and the website tries to redirect to the store and hangs. I saw on some forums it is no longer supported? I am not interested in a web browser solution as I brew in my cellar, sometimes the wifi is spotty and I prefer an app where everything is there together and inventory etc linked to the cloud. it seems really bizarre that they would not support Android, given how massive the platform is??

As mentioned before there is an app as I've been using it for a few years now even though I'm a beta tester as it does get updated with the ability to create, sync and import recipes to and from the cloud so as to access on your pc with a range of tools. You can contact @BrewersFriend for access to the mobile platform.
Screenshot_20201107_103513_com.brewersfriend.premium.jpg
Screenshot_20201107_104142_com.brewersfriend.premium.jpg
Screenshot_20201107_104148_com.brewersfriend.premium.jpg
Screenshot_20201107_104200_com.brewersfriend.premium.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201107_104419_com.gamma.scan.jpg
    Screenshot_20201107_104419_com.gamma.scan.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 56
Thanks @Turexy , I did download it and $20 doesn't seem outrageous. So far I have seen a couple of errors around connectivity but otherwise it looks good so far. I don't see a plato to SG converter but I might be pushing my luck there!

and thanks @Gerryjo I will look into it. I think Brewers Friend would be my preference given the support and positive options around it but I'm not sure if I want an app thats not officially supported.

Thanks @Turexy , I did download it and $20 doesn't seem outrageous. So far I have seen a couple of errors around connectivity but otherwise it looks good so far. I don't see a plato to SG converter but I might be pushing my luck there!

and thanks @Gerryjo I will look into it. I think Brewers Friend would be my preference given the support and positive options around it but I'm not sure if I want an app thats not officially supported.
Officially I take it you mean Google on which platform I got it in the first place but was removed by the author not Google and does receive support.
There is also a Windows app available.

We currently do not have an Android app, as the old one was a bit buggy and just not up to our standards. We will have a brand new one released, along with an updated iOS app in the very near future!

Latest posts

Back