Brewing book recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all, loads of great suggestions to go after on here! Can anyone recommend a book on water chemistry/water PH at all? The one area I feel slightly lacking at the moment
John Palmers How to Brew has a large section on that, probably as much as you need and more, but if you do want more then he also wrote the book "Water Comprehensive Guide (Brewing Elements)

So...is the Palmer book rewritten for the latest edition or just recovered..??
As new it's around £18... earlier editions under £10..
I haven't read an earlier edition but from the 4th Ed. he says it incorporates the many advances in both home and craft brewing........ new malt hop and yeast strains, warm maturation of lagers, American IPA, BIAB, stuff from Water book incorporated into this edition, modern equipment etc

Regards water personally I would just read Strange Steves advice on this forum especially if you are brew British styles. Americans don't seem to "get" most UK beers will normally have a higher mineral base than the beers they brew. The Gordon Strong book, an excellent book, does mention this but doesn't give much practical advise for UK beers.

The Gordon Strong book is really good for the most part and there's a lot of stuff he says about water treatment which I agree with (eg keep it simple, stop trying to replicate regional profiles, don't put too much emphasis on residual alkalinity, don't make adjustments unless you know what's there to begin with) but it is definitely an "American" approach to it, with much more emphasis on mash pH than calcium, a lot of talk about RO, suggesting soft water makes better beer, "minerally" tasting beer, and recommended additions that are far lower than I'd use. For example these are some of his recommended profiles:

Malty beer - 60ppm calcium, 107ppm chloride, ~0ppm sulphate
Hoppy beer - 60ppm calcium, 140ppm sulphate, ~0ppm chloride
Balanced beer - 60ppm calcium, 50ppm chloride, 70ppm sulphate

So I would recommend the book, but take the water section with a pinch of salt (but not so much as to make it minerally).

I found with the Palmer book I understood it better when I'd done a few brews. I tried reading it years ago as an 'interested novice' and just didn't have a clue what he was on about. I'm reading it again now and finding it much more accessable. But I do skim the very techical bits. The Hughes and Wheeler books are essential

I found with the Palmer book I understood it better when I'd done a few brews. I tried reading it years ago as an 'interested novice' and just didn't have a clue what he was on about. I'm reading it again now and finding it much more accessable. But I do skim the very techical bits. The Hughes and Wheeler books are essential
Absolutely, the first time I read it pretty much cover to cover, before I had even made a brew, perhaps I did one kit. I did glaze over at the maths whenever it went over my head but now I use the book as a reference it is infinitely more understandable

Have you tried ‘the new IPA’. Very technical but some extremely interesting parts
I have started it and put it down but I do need to get back to it, it does start a bit too technical, but is not just about hops even if that is the title and has some really useful info.

Latest posts

Back