Brewing Challenge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Please see below from NPi @NPi

Following on from the group buy thread @Obadiah Boondoggle and myself have been in contact with Beartown Brewery, who whilst we haven't been able to purchase grain from (yet!), have very kindly suggested they offer one of their own recipes for us all to brew as a bit of a competition. They also suggested a possible prize for the winner.

No details yet on how it would work, but thought I'd put out to see if there was interest before starting a new thread on the competitions page.

Let me know your thoughts. Any requests for recipes?
Thanks, Nick

It sounds a wonderful idea - a great opportunity to hone our brewing skills and develop local links

What do we think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on what the recipe is, I’d be interested.

Have a look at their range and see. Nothing to say they won't happily share their recipes for those beers we don't end up brewing.

"Bear Skinful" sounds like the best non technical option, so forum members can have a wider range to experiment on.

But "Smores" sounds like a good technical challenge

"Creme Bearlee move over there’s a new pudding in town. Chocolate and Marshmallow Milk Stout is the Game and Smores is the Name. Inspired by the American campfire snack of the same name, Honey Malt & Flaked Oats give the biscuity notes of a traditional graham cracker, whilst a combination of 8 Malts provide a deep and robust dark chocolate character which is backed up with an addition of cacao nibs in the fermenter. Lactose gives the beer a sweet and thick mouthfeel whilst combining with vanilla pods in the later stages of fermentation to give the finished marshmallowy effect"

Open to suggestions...

Have a look at their range and see. Nothing to say they won't happily share their recipes for those beers we don't end up brewing.

"Bear Skinful" sounds like the best non technical option, so forum members can have a wider range to experiment on.

But "Smores" sounds like a good technical challenge

"Creme Bearlee move over there’s a new pudding in town. Chocolate and Marshmallow Milk Stout is the Game and Smores is the Name. Inspired by the American campfire snack of the same name, Honey Malt & Flaked Oats give the biscuity notes of a traditional graham cracker, whilst a combination of 8 Malts provide a deep and robust dark chocolate character which is backed up with an addition of cacao nibs in the fermenter. Lactose gives the beer a sweet and thick mouthfeel whilst combining with vanilla pods in the later stages of fermentation to give the finished marshmallowy effect"

Open to suggestions...
They seem to have a few hoppy pales and some more “traditional” real ale type beers so no doubt I’ll be happy with most options. I’m not big on dark beers so if S’mores is the competition beer I’ll sit out.

All, I've chased the brewery, I'm sure they are very busy planning with lock down etc, but I'll update the thread if I receive a response

Nick

Back