Brewing Heritage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CD

Retired Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The brewing industry has a great heritage that should be cherished, and it would be a shame if this was lost through indifference. For example, irrespective of what it is made from, the vessel in which wort is boiled and hops added is called a Copper, and in most breweries it will have the letters ‘CU’ painted on it, so that Customs and Excise Inspectors know what they are looking at.

A kettle is something you boil water in to make tea or coffee, and a boiler is part of a central heating system. So now you know.

Nice reminder Coffin Dodger. I love history, and it's important to record it, celebrate it, and learn from it. But times change and language is not static, but evolves. I don't believe indifference is the reason we don't call a copper a copper. It might be that it's just not a copper any more.

A Grainfather is not a copper and it feels pretty bizarre to refer to it with Victorian words.

Today I shall pull on my britches and head out in my horseless carriage to have collie shangles with the costermonger.

Latest posts

Back