Brewing in the UK in June

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
Think I’ll give it a go, as a clean yeast at 25-28C would be ideal. While I rather like kveik, I find that Voss the last time I used it had a lot of citrus like flavour great for a hoppy pale ale, but not so sure about it in the stout I’m planning on brewing next.
Voss makes a great stout, @BeerCat has made several in the past, I've made a stout and a dark mild with it, and another stout with Saure.

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
The way I see it most yeasts can tolerate up to 40 C before they start to fall off the perch, fermenting at a higher temperature will not give the result you are looking for.
The days of yore when there was no temperature control breweries brewed at a certain time of the year. Today there are free fridges being given away on Gum Tree and the like, get one and ferment at a temperature the yeast will perform producing the beer you like.

Scrattajack

Reaction score
The annoying thing is that we have a spare working fridge but my fermenters are too tall for it...

Scrattajack

Reaction score
Well, the brew day happened on Sunday and my lovely(?) wort now resides in a nice new jerrycan. Of course, the weather has now set itself perfectly for fermentation with S-04...but I can still test out no-chill brewing and save my Kveik yeast for a later heatwave.

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
I've used s04 quite a few times and always felt it was lacking in something. As an ale yeast I prefer Wilko gervin/Notty.
My US pale is consistently US 05 but I plan to try the Lallemand bry97..

AdeDunn

Reaction score
I've just made a chocolate stout with Voss, fermented at 31c Its still in the frementer at 31 but doesnt taste fruity at all.
I didn't get much from Voss either, was the Yeast Bay stuff. I think the folks getting flavour from Voss though are fermenting at 38/39 degrees C, with big under-pitches, and those temps can be hard to hit without temp control. It's yet another crazy Kveik... lol

Edison

Regular.
Reaction score
I've used s04 quite a few times and always felt it was lacking in something. As an ale yeast I prefer Wilko gervin/Notty.
My US pale is consistently US 05 but I plan to try the Lallemand bry97..
I used BRY97 a couple of times in the past and was really happy with them in US pales, but the one time I tried reusing it and the second brew tasted quite estery (bananas). Hygiene, temperatures, age, O2 etc should all have been fine but it tasted stressed. Sure I dropped the ball somewhere but haven’t risked it since. Was a great beer in the initial pitch though, interested to hear how you find it.

Scrattajack

Reaction score
At last! The weather turns up and it was in the fermenter with Stranda Kveik yeast at 10.00 yesterday evening and going like the clappers when I got up at 6.00 this morning. It's currently reading 31 °C and having a party. Can't wait to sample.