Brewing in the UK in June

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I was making kit beer (badly) in the 1980s, I was advised to make beer from October to April as there was too much chance of spoilage otherwise. This was echoed by Graham Wheeler in his British Ales book. Is that advice still sound, or have things moved on?

I had hoped to get mine done by mid-May but a slow ferment means I can only crack on with my final brew in June.

John.

If u can control the temperature then you can brew all year round

You can now buy Kveik yeast that ferments upto 40+C so no reason for not brewing in the summer.
Depending on what you're brewing, I suppose, if I was making a Landlord clone how would Kveik compare to a West Yorkshire yeast?

You could "no chill" it or change yeast...
Sorry, don't know what you mean by "no chill" it...

Thanks,
John.

No chill...you get a big,food safe Jerry can,and drop your got wort straight into it and put the lid on...leave it til the next day when it will be ambient temp..then too it into your fv and pitch your yeast.

Depending on what you're brewing, I suppose, if I was making a Landlord clone how would Kveik compare to a West Yorkshire yeast?
Don't know is the honest answer, you didn't state what beer styles you were making, maybe you can now do some research on that one athumb..

Don't know is the honest answer, you didn't state what beer styles you were making, maybe you can now do some research on that one athumb..
No, I didn't. It was a general question, just trying to work out my options. Thanks for your suggestion, I'll mug up on Kveik yeast.

No chill...you get a big,food safe Jerry can,and drop your got wort straight into it and put the lid on...leave it til the next day when it will be ambient temp..then too it into your fv and pitch your yeast.
Thanks, will check that one out.

John.

003.JPG

You won't need a fridge with a Thermenter King, a little 12 volt unit, even without the insulation jacket can keep a steady fermenting temperature at an ambient 30 C

Indeed here are notes from the White Labs Kviek -
‘Stranda is a kveik strain owned by Stein Langlo from Stranda, Norway. Considered a “cleaner” kveik strain, Stranda can also produce a wide range of beer styles over a large temperature gradient. Ideal for use when you have little to no temperature control of your fermentation.’
I might be tempted to brew a small batch of something using this yeast and leave it on my kitchen side. See how we go with a truely reckless approach to fermentation temp control.
89311F8B-A0F7-4909-B576-8595D73875A5.png

View attachment 26423
You won't need a fridge with a Thermenter King, a little 12 volt unit, even without the insulation jacket can keep a steady fermenting temperature at an ambient 30 C
Hey Foxy - this unit looks great but I can’t find any info on it... can you tell us when it will be available or send a link to a review?

I would guess that the risk of spoilage when brewing in UK summertime has more to do with pests such as fruit flies, and flies in general. Get one of those in your brew and it'll ruin it.
Temperatures in the UK rarely get so high as to affect fermentation.

I don't think it's just about temp control, due to rising heat there's a lot more bugs about in the house (certainly in my house) and I usually stop brewing June-Sept as I have had a few infections in the past, and they've all been in this period. I'm paranoid when bottling or kegging this time of year.

Having said that, I've just put a mash on so chancing my luck....

Nottingham yeast will ferment up to about 25c/26c. It's an English ale yeast would be ok for a landlord clone. It's fairly clean but at those temps most yeast kick out some esters(which is what you want in a bitter)

Latest posts

Back