Brewing kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cha

Reaction score
Hi I’m new to brewing can anyone advise me on the best brewing kit for cider

Hi welcome! Search Turbo cider? The DIY version is better! I use the same kit I do my original extract brews in; 30l Speidel with tap on the top to a blow off (mt co-op tonic bottle with SS) for 23l I use 1/2 campden to get rid of chlorine, Liquor from hot tank (70*C ish,,) then adjusted with cold to <24*C one CML cider yeast pre-started and temp matched and 12l apple juice, 5 tbags + 2l teapot, 4tsp pectolase, 800g Dex. No clarifying agents, takes 2 weeks to get dry enough. 18-21*C = 6% ABV then in the cornie. Don't even cold crash. However, I now keep two FV's just for wine/cider to avoid possible beer flavour effects,,,enjoy athumb..

Last edited:
Hi welcome! Search Turbo cider? The DIY version is better! I use the same kit I do my original extract brews in; 30l Speidel with tap on the top to a blow off (mt co-op tonic bottle with SS) for 23l I use 1/2 campden to get rid of chlorine, Liquor from hot tank (70*C ish,,) then adjusted with cold to <24*C one CML cider yeast pre-started and temp matched and 12l apple juice, 5 tbags + 2l teapot, 4tsp pectolase, 800g Dex. No clarifying agents, takes 2 weeks to get dry enough. 18-21*C = 6% ABV then in the cornie. Don't even cold crash. However, I now keep two FV's just for wine/cider to avoid possible beer flavour effects,,,enjoy athumb..
Cheers. Iv just tried it it was very like vinegar

Looking for similar advice
Mangrove Jack's cider kits produce a reasonable brew.
I like their hopped cider. I find a lot of the kit ciders too sweet, Added sweetener in with the yeast) as many of the mainstream ciders are. Prefer a dryer brew, guess it's down to taste.
If you are referring to actual kit then fermenting side is just like beer, fermentation vessel, air lock, tubing for siphoning etc. If you are talking crushing apples you can go from a lump of wood and a bucket as a scratter, through to a hand scratter to a garden shredder like scratter. Same with presses.
Just as with beer there are different yeasts. Some based on champagne yeast which finish dry to the likes of WLP775 liquid cider yeast that does retain more fruity notes and aromas.
Guess it depends what you are looking for

Mangrove Jack's cider kits produce a reasonable brew.
I like their hopped cider. I find a lot of the kit ciders too sweet, Added sweetener in with the yeast) as many of the mainstream ciders are. Prefer a dryer brew, guess it's down to taste.
If you are referring to actual kit then fermenting side is just like beer, fermentation vessel, air lock, tubing for siphoning etc. If you are talking crushing apples you can go from a lump of wood and a bucket as a scratter, through to a hand scratter to a garden shredder like scratter. Same with presses.
Just as with beer there are different yeasts. Some based on champagne yeast which finish dry to the likes of WLP775 liquid cider yeast that does retain more fruity notes and aromas.
Guess it depends what you are looking for
Thanks.

@Cha - sadly that sounds like oxidation or infection. Do you use a rigorous detergent and sanitiser routine? I am paranoid about contamination and can't get my head around the Belgium brewing system. You'll find most people on here have their own obsessive equally good routines as well. TBH It does seem to work. Maybe try kits first then go back to the Turbo? I did a Bulldog berries kit for a party ages ago and that was really popular. Good luck,, athumb..

@Cha - sadly that sounds like oxidation or infection. Do you use a rigorous detergent and sanitiser routine? I am paranoid about contamination and can't get my head around the Belgium brewing system. You'll find most people on here have their own obsessive equally good routines as well. TBH It does seem to work. Maybe try kits first then go back to the Turbo? I did a Bulldog berries kit for a party ages ago and that was really popular. Good luck,, athumb..
Cheers pal

Here's 2 fruit ciders merrily chugging away with a CML Kolsch yeast.
I also have 22l fermenting on wlp840 lager yeast bubbling away in the garage but with no cover.

Attachments

• IMG_20200528_074053_2.jpg
    IMG_20200528_074053_2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 71
Here's 2 fruit ciders merrily chugging away with a CML Kolsch yeast.
I also have 22l fermenting on wlp840 lager yeast bubbling away in the garage but with no cover.
Iv got two turbo ciders on the go in two to litre demijohns the doom went in to the Ayrlocks do you think theses will be ok they’ve settled down and bubbling away now

I can't remember which cider kits I tried years ago, but I was underwhelmed with them so turbo cider for me all the time.

Maybe you could experiment a bit with syrups etc to change the flavour.

Latest posts

Back