Brewing kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great idea with the tyre valve Steve.

I've tightened the cap on my keg but not completely tight so that a minimal amount of gas can escape. If I put my nose close enough to the cap I can slightly smell the beer so obviously a little bit of gas is escaping. Is that a good idea or should I tighten it properly?

I'm also concerned that by using the tap on the FV and not the siphon I may have badly oxidized a great beer.

Usually kegs have some sort of safety valve fitted! My king kegs have basically a rbber band on the inlet valve where you scree on the co2 cylinder! In the event of too much prrssure, it lets some out! I don't think you should worry too much about oxidising your brew! Soundd like you have enough priming sugar in the barrel!

Usually kegs have some sort of safety valve fitted! My king kegs have basically a rbber band on the inlet valve where you scree on the co2 cylinder! In the event of too much prrssure, it lets some out! I don't think you should worry too much about oxidising your brew! Soundd like you have enough priming sugar in the barrel!

Yeah my caps have got a valve fitted but they're the S30 type for attaching CO2 cylinders.

Whether they let excess gas escape or not I'm not sure TBH.

Last edited:
Yeah my caps have got a valve fitted but they're the S30 type for attaching CO2 cylinders.

Whether they let excess gas escape or bot I'm not sure TBH.
They do. Once you've fitted your tyre valves (Schraders) you can verify this with a car tyre pump. Don't use air from a compressor as it can taint the barrel, plus the reloef 'valve' holes are tiny and won't release air fast enough.

They do. Once you've fitted your tyre valves (Schraders) you can verify this with a car tyre pump. Don't use air from a compressor as it can taint the barrel, plus the reloef 'valve' holes are tiny and won't release air fast enough.

I don't plan to fit Schraders in my caps like Skittler has done. Can't really see the point, especially if the S30 valves let excess pressure escape anyway.

The main reason I fitted the valves was to check the pressure in the barrel! I've had too much before & ended with half beer & half froth! Now if it gets to over 15 psi, I can release some! I have fitted these on a couple of 2 litre pet bottles, so I can have a couple one night, pumo it up gently, then the next night, no flat beer, & one or two nights wont taint the brew! (at least i haven't noticed it!!

Latest posts

Back