Brewing lager in corny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptAwol

Reaction score
Having never ever brewed a lager or done a pressure fermentation, I'm looking for advice
I've been googling, YouTube, FB aka social media etc to educate myself and my head is pickled
Whilst I found lots of recipes and techniques, lot's of questions remain
Ideally I'd just like to brew a small batch to pressure ferment in 19l keg and transfer clean to keg
New to kegging I appreciate that the corny only hold about 18.5l depending on tube length of out post, I've converted mine to floating dip tube's
What batch size should I look at, max I should load in the fermenter and how much can I expect to get out of the fermenter before hitting bottom crud
Any suggestions whatsoever welcome

Ahoy Cap’n!
You have a lot more leeway when pressure fermenting as the amount of headspace needed is significantly reduced. I tend to ferment lagers under 10psi and fill my legs to the weld line, so about 18-18.5L in a 19L keg.

I personally never hop my lagers particularly highly, so there is minimal hop debris in the bottom of my fermenting keg. Eyeballing it I would say I usually have at most half a litre of trub, and usually less, so I would expect a packaged batch size of roughly 17.5-18L depending on how brave you are with filling your fermenter. You may want to go for a slightly smaller batch size initially of say, 15L, until you are comfortable with the process.

For what it's worth I have 19L currently "stuck" in a corny that has a blockage somewhere and it's sitting under 15psi. Still not entirely sure how I'm going to solve this one.

I've done a half dozen or so batches this was. It's the first I've had an issue with.

For what it's worth I have 19L currently "stuck" in a corny that has a blockage somewhere and it's sitting under 15psi. Still not entirely sure how I'm going to solve this one.

I've done a half dozen or so batches this was. It's the first I've had an issue with.
The best thing I can suggest @Broken Toe is to set your regulator to 20psi and shoot a little CO2 back down your beer disconnect. That should fix most blockages from the uptake side. Are you using a floating beer tube with a filter or a standard cut dip tube?

I've gone all the way to 40 with that particular tactic...my current line of thought is to slowly release pressure and then pull the dip tube out, replace it with a shorter bit of tubing and try my luck that way..

@CaptAwol apologies for the hijack

Thanks for replies, to add yes I have searched other posts on here and head still a bit pickled
Anyway tomorrow morning I'm going in full guns, I've decided on a German pilsner 4% ish and I'll be bringing me old brewdevil 45l out of sparge duties back to brewing.
I intend to split a 38l batch between two corny Kegs, I'll pressure ferment both one with safale us05 other with 34/70 just cos I can

Latest posts

Back