Brewing mistakes you really wish you'd avoided...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another way cockroaches can stuff up equipment, Kegerators and SVB circuit boards, they get inside the appliance this is what happens to the circuit boards.
I help repair these units and it is surprising how often this happens.

001.JPG

biggest mistake: ordering all grain stuff, forgetting that I didn't do any brewing in 7 to 9 years and have the equipment 100 miles away or given to others.

Not so much a mistake but an accident and a lesson learned. Be careful when withdrawing the bottling wand from a 5L keg. The end caught on the inside edge of the nozzle and came off. Beer everywhere and the springy end of the wand is now in my keg. Just hope it doesn't infect it.

Not so much a mistake but an accident and a lesson learned. Be careful when withdrawing the bottling wand from a 5L keg. The end caught on the inside edge of the nozzle and came off. Beer everywhere and the springy end of the wand is now in my keg. Just hope it doesn't infect it.
How would it infect it? You did sanitise it before you started filling the keg didn't you?

Transferring chilled wort into a fermzilla thinking the grainfather probe was secured in the inline wort-o-meter. Controller reading 16c (me thinking this is chilled great today) to find out the probe was reading ambient temperatures and I'm feeding unknown wort temperate into a plastic fermenter.

Turns out whatever temp it was, it was hot enough to warp the bottom of the fermzilla and generate a funny smell.

Batch turned out OK but I bravely only put 5psi for the transfer once finished then binned the fermenter.

Expensive mistake

How would it infect it? You did sanitise it before you started filling the keg didn't you?
Yes, it was thoroughly sanitised but my worry is that there may be some nasties hidden in the parts that weren't exposed to the sanitiser but are now exposed since coming loose.

Strange thing is that I've tried to take the end of before to give it a good clean, but didn't manage because I didn't want to break it. 🤦‍♂️

Yes, it was thoroughly sanitised but my worry is that there may be some nasties hidden in the parts that weren't exposed to the sanitiser but are now exposed since coming loose.

Strange thing is that I've tried to take the end of before to give it a good clean, but didn't manage because I didn't want to break it. 🤦‍♂️
Yes, I've tried to take the end off mine to clean it but never managed it, so was surprised to see that it came off so easily taking it out of the mini keg.
I wouldn't worry about it though. The alcohol will kill anything that might be there. Infections are more of a problem early on, before fermentation gets going.

Yes, I've tried to take the end off mine to clean it but never managed it, so was surprised to see that it came off so easily taking it out of the mini keg.
I wouldn't worry about it though. The alcohol will kill anything that might be there. Infections are more of a problem early on, before fermentation gets going.
Fingers crossed 🤞

Would you be interested in selling the controller? or are you going to repair.
I have scheme in my head to build a cross between a Braumeister and a Grainfather.
I'm in the process of buying another gf. Should be at mine when I'm home (sat 13th) so providing it's their yes it's yours.

I have just spent about forty five minutes cleaning the grain basket, I had just gotten a notification from DPD that the grain for my batch of mild would arrive today so thought I would get everything setup ready to go, unfortunately it would seem that I didn’t properly clean the grain basket last time I used it and well you can guess what happens when you have a sticky residue left for about a month.

Would you be interested in selling the controller? or are you going to repair.
I have scheme in my head to build a cross between a Braumeister and a Grainfather.
I am now home message me.

Back