Brewing "off piste" for the first time.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex.mc

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm still very much a noob, and have stuck so far to kits or recipes. All the beer so far has been lovely to my untrained palate.
I had a kilo of German Pilsner malt left over, and thought about it for a few days. After a quick trip to my nearest HB shop, I decided to brew a "Pilsnerillo"

4kg German Pilsner, 0.4kg Fortified wheat, single infusion mash at 67c 1hr. 10g Amarillo hops at start, 50g Amarillo at flameout. MJ Bavarian Wheat yeast M20, 40g Amarillo dry hop after 1 week fermentation.

It already looked and smelt lovely, and is bubbling strongly now.
Hope it turns out nice!

This is pretty much how I got started, I brewed a few AG kits, followed a few recipes and then after four or five brews had a enough left over ingredients for a 'Kitchen Sink' brew.....and it's was pretty good, and a great way to learn.

Hope it turns out good for you, Amarillo is one of my favourite hops, be interested to hear how his comes out.

Small update, after 3 weeks in the fermentor, I just bottled it all at 5.4% and 80% att. More importantly drinking the FG sample showed it to be really nice! Looking forward to this one in a couple of weeks!

Back