Brewing Outdoors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish I can indoor brewing space
IMG_20220625_134924138.jpg

It's not much fun in heavy rain with thunder and lightning

Is it as windy where you are as it is here. I doubt I'd be able to get up to a boil in this wind

In the summer like now, indoor brewing isn't a problem as the windows are open. In winter though, my utility room is like a sauna and there is condensation all over the walls.

A friend of mine approached me with a problem beer.

He “My pale ale tastes kinda funky! What’s wrong?”
Me “Let me have a taste.”

Me “Did you brew this in the Spring?”
He “Yes”

Me “Did you brew it out on your patio as usual?”
He “Yes”

Me “Do you have a lot of oak trees around your house?”
He “Yes, I do!”

Me “Oak pollen fell into your kettle during the boil; I did the same thing a few years ago. Tastes kinda funky, doesn’t it?”

I brew outside all the time but do wonder how many insects end up in my finished beer. I have that kettle open throughout a 60 minute boil and lots of other times too and in that same time, it seems every time I pick my tea cup up to take a sip, there a fly it there!

During winters here we regularly see periods of 30-35c below freezing, and summer is mosquito season, at least they always show up at evening wich is the time of day I usually have opportunity to brew. Kitchen for me until I can fix my brew room in the basement.
And you who complain about condensation, do you UK guys not have kitchen fans above the hob?

I brew entirely outside, so invested in a commercial gazebo…. Makes a lot of difference and I can brew in any weather now! Plus it comes in handy for a multitude of other outdoor activities too!

Loaded question there.
I (qualified spark) say yes as long as it is fully unrolled.
Lots of “qualified” in other things will tell you no.
I do it with no issue.
🤷‍♂️
Thank you I’ll fully unroll it. I wanted a professional to give me that advice.
PS
Can the unrolled cable touch or is there a distance needed. I understand loops but that’s all.

I brew outdoors all year round. I’m not the tidiest and I am prone to the occasional slip so although I don’t have problems with steam and condensation I also don’t have to worry about spillages :laugh8:. I have a couple of pumps (240 vac) and a 1.5 kw kettle element controlled by an inkbird all run on an extension lead from the garage.
C2610185-3935-468F-A13E-987FF5D11D61.jpeg

Thank you I’ll fully unroll it. I wanted a professional to give me that advice.
PS
Can the unrolled cable touch or is there a distance needed. I understand loops but that’s all.
No issues at all with it touching etc. It’s just when it’s on one of those cable reels and left rolled up it turns into the old electric fire elements once a large load is on it. Massive cause of fires

Yes, we have a melted extension lead that we use to show new staff what happens if you run a fan heater off an extension lead in the winter.

The remains of the wire are hung up on a peg in the electrical store.

Back