Brewing Rhubarb cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AXW123

Regular.
Reaction score
So my husband is starting to say there is too much beer around everywhere! I’ve done three brews that I have bottled and have two more waiting to be bottled - a fruit cider and a lager style. So I wanted to do another brew but thought I better scale down to a gallon. So I looked around on here and found Roddy’s recipe for Lowicz cider. So I have used 2 litres rhubarb and apple juice, 300ml bottlegreen rhubarb syrup, 1.1 litres water, pectolaze, yeast nutrient and a mug of tea. I was pleased my maths seemed correct on sugar content. Currently 3.5 litres and 1.040 og. So intend to top up with another litre of juice (which was also measured at 1.040) when it has calmed down. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

So my rhubarb cider has finished brewing. Sitting on a fair bit of trub. I’m off on holiday tomorrow and haven’t really got time to bottle. Am I better racking to a secondary or will it be ok until the new year as it is - in the demijohn with an air lock?

So my rhubarb cider has finished brewing. Sitting on a fair bit of trub. I’m off on holiday tomorrow and haven’t really got time to bottle. Am I better racking to a secondary or will it be ok until the new year as it is - in the demijohn with an air lock?

I think the phrase is "Six of one and half-a-dozen of the other." especially as it's only had the absolute minimum of primary fermentation time. (Started on the 7th?)

Personally, I would leave it somewhere cool and dark to clear a bit by the New Year.

Latest posts

Back