brewing shed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
thinking of build or buy a shed to use for brewing
so swmbo stops nagging about me taking up to much room and mess
so what do I need to look out for in regards build type
what have you got
any photos would be grate

For me the issue would be a power supply and water supply. I have a few shelves in my garage atm so not a great set up, but if I was going to build a brew shed I would have to build a bar top that doubles as the workbench for brewing on with a fermentation fridge and a beer fridge. I would have a shelf for a water/sparge heater and if I was paying that much anyway get an Ace microbrewery, a Brewster or if I was feeling like spending a lot a Grain Father on the bar/worktop and the FV on a chair or step for the lower level of a 3 level system. Measurements would be required to ensure they are right.

I looked into this and then deferred the project until next year due to the likely cost.

My plan was an 8ft x 6ft shed with the door on the 8ft front, preferably at the edge rather than in the middle. Use the back wall as a run of worktop with two fridges and 2 x 60cm cupbaords for storage (or just blank space for storage if you prefer). That would leave approximately 6ft x 4ft of free space in the rest of the shed for storing kit, plus the worktop itself obviously. (I've attached a very rough sketch of my plan.) You might, depending on your setup, decide that this is enough space to brew as well. Personally I plan to continue brewing outside and just use the shed for fermenting and storage.

You'd obviously need an electrical supply. Rigging up your shed with electricity is notifiable under building regulations so you'd need an electrician who can certify it. I'd imagine the load requirement is much higher to run your brewing kit than to just run fridges but I don't really understand electrics so personally would leave that to the expert! If you're going to brew in the shed as well then you would want to consider a water supply and ventilation.

IMG_2503.JPG

There are a number of Facebook groups on the subject.

I would be looking for
Power
Water supply
Drains
Fentilation
And some good shelfs

Personally I wouldn't buy a flat pack shed and build my own.

My project either next year or the year after is to build a pub shed and incorporate a breing area

The only problem with wooden sheds is they get so hot in the summer.
I guess they can be insulated and if felted then solar reflective paint works well.
I would buy a wood cabin in kit form and erect it myself, they are far more substantially built than any flat pack shed and they are also quite pleasing to the eye.

There are a number of Facebook groups on the subject.

I would be looking for
Power
Water supply
Drains
Fentilation
And some good shelfs

Personally I wouldn't buy a flat pack shed and build my own.

My project either next year or the year after is to build a pub shed and incorporate a breing area

I followed some of the facebook groups after you recommended them. Some incredible projects there, albeit they seemed to mainly be pubs rather than breweries as such.

Does anyone remember that vid someone posted that was basically a advert for one of the DIY chains shed's? It had a beer (BJCP?) judge building a shed/brewery with her dad. It was a 3V system built in quite a compact way. It was quite a good vid but I cant find it now

Does anyone remember that vid someone posted that was basically a advert for one of the DIY chains shed's? It had a beer (BJCP?) judge building a shed/brewery with her dad. It was a 3V system built in quite a compact way. It was quite a good vid but I cant find it now

that was a 'wickes' brewshed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=jhv-bM7ZwH8

I built my own shed using lap panels and 1x2 and 2x2 from a sawmill all screwed together so an individual piece can be replaced if needed

I got one that came in 3ft sections and the lab panels were much thicker than normal. For the life of me I can't remember the supplier and even a google session didn't help. But it is good quality.
I would also look at rubber roofing as it lasts much longer than felt (it may be more expensive though).
I have a heater for the winter months that stops temps getting too low but it does get hot in the summer.

I remember the wicks add that beer was a bit cloudy
the winter temperature is not a problem its going to be the summer (if we get one)
winter just put a greenhouse heater in there job done
also was thinking of a brick shed as that may stay cooler in the summer

I wouldn't dream of brewing in my shed - I'd end up with rusty nails/spiders/bits of motorbike piston etc in me beer! Nah the kitchen is fine and the missus will have to put up with it.

Latest posts

Back