Brewing Sugar for priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dosfairways

Reaction score
Hi All. I've just started a Woorfordes Admirals Reserve. When it comes to bottling I need to add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to each bottle for priming. I'm not a lover of adding sugar to the bottles as I find it too easy to add too much and end up with 'gushing' bottles on opening. I prefer the Festival kits style of dissolving brewing sugar in the bucket before bottling. With the Festival 40 pint kits 500g of brewing sugar is provided for this, so would I be right in saying as the Admirals Reserve is for only 32 pints I should add only 400g for the best result? Seems obvious to me, but just wanted to bounce it off some of you more experienced brewers before I go down this road who may even have some other tweaks I could try. Thanks

Hi first up I don’t batch prime personally but absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I think you have an error in your numbers 400g in 32 pints is about 12.5g a bottle which would be a seriously bad idea.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
This priming calculator doesn’t go above 6 volumes of CO2 (which would be 11.3g of corn sugar) but is a useful tool, but yes you absolutely can do batch priming using the method you have outlined (Just please don’t use 400g sugar).

Hi first up I don’t batch prime personally but absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I think you have an error in your numbers 400g in 32 pints is about 12.5g a bottle which would be a seriously bad idea.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
This priming calculator doesn’t go above 6 volumes of CO2 (which would be 11.3g of corn sugar) but is a useful tool, but yes you absolutely can do batch priming using the method you have outlined (Just please don’t use 400g sugar).
OOPS! Yes, on checking, the Festival kits priming sachets are 150g for 40 pints which would equate to 120g for 32 pints. Yes?

OOPS! Yes, on checking, the Festival kits priming sachets are 150g for 40 pints which would equate to 120g for 32 pints. Yes?
That sounds more like it and yes if you are happy with the level of carbonation given that should work fine. Only other thing to bare in mind I think the priming sugar in the Festival kits are dextrose (brewing sugar) while if you use cane sugar (sucrose) you use very slightly less I think it would work out at about 110g for 32 pints with table sugar vs 120g with dextrose (brewing sugar).

That sounds more like it and yes if you are happy with the level of carbonation given that should work fine. Only other thing to bare in mind I think the priming sugar in the Festival kits are dextrose (brewing sugar) while if you use cane sugar (sucrose) you use very slightly less I think it would work out at about 110g for 32 pints with table sugar vs 120g with dextrose (brewing sugar).
Thanks for your advice 👍 Appreciated 😊

Latest posts

Back