Brewing Sugar in a kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve denholm

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've now got my third brew bubbling away in the FV (first was an extract IPA, then extract Weissbeir, currently fermenting a partial mash american pale).

I was working away and found homebrew store so I ran in a brought a new world Saison kit; I didn't want a straight to FV kit but it turned out that's what I brought (has additional hops for dry hop).

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/New-World-Saison-Beer-Kit.html

The kit is mostly LME (maybe pre bitterd not too sure) with additional brewing sugar, my question is if this is just a cheaper way of whacking the ABV up?
Would it be possible to swap the sugar for a mini mash of some sort or is the sugar there to help keep the beer dry?
I feel a little like going backwards in my brewing journey but just adding cold LME to a FV (maybe I'm being a snob :).
Any advice or comments you have will be most appreciated
Steve

The sugar will as you suggest whack the ABV up, but not add any additional flavours. Not being a fan of saisons personally, I'm not sure whether or not it would benefit from the extra malt flavour.
If you have the equipment you could mash some lager and/or speciality grains and boil before adding to the kit.

When you feel like being more adventurous, have a look at https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/have-a-go-at-simple-ag.51779/

It is a great introduction to all grain brewing on a budget, but it will take about 5 hours and you will soon be shopping around for bigger pans, a wort chiller, brewfridge etc. etc. etc. I moved to this straight from kits, before trying partial mash brewing and not looked back.

I would guess that extract is made using a mash temperature that provides a nice balance between fermentability and body, a balance that would facilitate the extract brewer to brew all styles. Saisons, however, are usually mashed lower and longer to give a highly fermentable wort and drier beer. The sugar is likely there to compensate for this lack of control over mash parameters, faced by the extract brewer.

You could do a mini mash and just leave out some of the sugar and extract, or, mini mash and brew a bigger batch size, if you want to be more involved in the brew.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

thanks for the replies guys.
Mmmbeer I'm definitely going to go AG (i have a friend who works at rubbermaid great source of mash tuns ;P ) the only thing holding me back is my hob won't handle 5g boils, hopefully when i get my range put in my new kitchen the wok burner should be able to handle it.
Sadfield, that makes sense, I think I'll just make the kit as per instruction and use it as a learning experience, at the end of the day I will learn from it and get the beer as a bonus =)

Thanks all

The NWS kit is pretty good when made up to the instructions to be fair. I think the "saison" term was abused by the Americans for quite a while, being used to describe anything that had high ABV, a boat load of hops and, more often, some whacky adjunct. Young's have avoided that with their kit and you get a reasonable, true-to-style beer at the end.

I guess you're right about the brewing sugar being there to up the ABV but I would imagine that is a factor of the malt extract only being able to contain so much sugar before it becomes unworkable and the style tending to have a higher ABV.

Unless you particularly want to adjust what the kit is already doing, I'd say just make it as it comes.

Back