Brewing sugar Vs. Regular granulated

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been using brewing sugar for my brews so far, but was wondering if there would be any major difference using the normal stuff.

One of the kits I had discouraged normal granulated, but I was wondering what people's thoughts and experience was on this. The disadvantage of brewing sugar for me so far is more expensive and not as easy to get.

Thanks in advance!

I think the brewing sugar gives a cleaner and better fermentation, Ive only ever used normal sugar and had no issues with it, plus its cheaper

I believe brewing sugar is dextrose, which the yeasties prefer, and your packet of Silver Spoon is sucrose.

I saw the science bit on a recent brewing course, but can't remember how much more efficient it is.

Your best source of sugars is liquid malt extract as it adds body and flavour which is why I've vowed only to do 3kg+ extract kits. Next best is using spray malt as it's usually hopped too. Both these are more expensive that beet/cane sugar or brewing sugar, but probably give better results.

I guess it depends if you are brewing for quality or cost?

Dextrose will get the ferment going quicker but table sugar is just as fine, the yeast will need to break down the table sugar in to glucose and fructose.

I prefer to use dextrose when I can.

Useful and clear advice as always people - many thanks!!! :thumb:

Hi, the hydrolysing of sugars by yeasts happens extremely quickly, and there is probably no good reason to use expensive brewing sugar.
The yeast will do the work and save you money!

Hi, the hydrolysing of sugars by yeasts happens extremely quickly, and there is probably no good reason to use expensive brewing sugar.
The yeast will do the work and save you money!

I agree - just as long as you go for a sort of 2:1 malt extract to table sugar, it will be a very respectable beer.

I've only ever used dextrose for endurance running or swimming, because in such circumstances, you can't just take another day or so. Not really the case making beer.

Back