Brewing Update - AG No 74

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjam

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well it's been a while since I've been on here, not that I've been elsewhere, just been busy that's all.
Anyway, thought I'd share my findings / improvements / failures etc.
I've been using the same 3 vessel, chutney barrel AG system for several years and it's served me well! and quite inexpensive too.
Equipment failures have been rare. Of my 4 tesco kettle elements 1 failed. Not bad for 74 brews! And FV lid split.

Equipment improvements; And things I've refined .
The Thermapen is a must, I did 50 brews with **** thermometers, so many were miles out.
Hop cage filter basket. It's designed for ground coffee but works well in the boiler. No mess, no blockages.
Trub Dam. Idea borrowed from brewtech. Keeps things so simple. Apart from this and the hop cage, nothing else needed in the boiler!
Heat Exchanger Cooler. Once you've tried it there's no going back to the copper coil cooler.

Technique refinements;
Mash Tun underletting. Almost no need to stir.
80c Hop addition. Loads of Citra like aroma. (if you like that kinda thing)
After boil settle. Something I didn't realise! I leave it for 30mins after flameout.
No Bottle Sanitize! ....... What! Really? Yep, I don't bother. Never had a bad one yet! just rinse after use.

More later. Pjam

Thanks Dutto :)

Yes, that last point is a real time saver, I gave the Starsan a miss (only regarding bottles) and maybe I've been lucky, but again, no going back.
I stick to what works for me, I'm sure we all do, but I do tinker with water. Afraid I'm not that scientific. I do test alkalinity and a lactic acid addition has made a big difference for me. Massive.
I had gushers, it was driving me mad. I thought I was doing everything right. No amount of time in FV would fix it. My brews finished at 1010 and that seemed OK, nowadays the same brew, with lactic acid is going down to 1006. No more gushers !!

Still work to do on water though.

Latest posts

Back