Brewing west coast saison with WLP400?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Multigrain

Reaction score
So a summer party is coming up (1 month - bottling) and I have almost dried out!
I have never brewed a saison but I wanted to try out a similar beer this time.
To reduce the chance of stalling traditional saison yeast, I am planning using WLP400 for a more secure and rapid fermentation.

Just curious what your thoughts are on this?
Reading the styles for Wit and Saisons they are fairly similar so even if it does not turn out to be a "saison" it will still be a belgian summer beer?
To make it even more festive I am planning of putting 500g of frozen crushed mango in secondary. What do you think of it all?

I wouldn't worry about Saison yeasts stalling. The only one that really has issues is the Dupont strain (WLP565 and Wyeast 3724) and that will ferment out if given enough time. Belle Saison, WY3711 French Saison and Safale BE134 are all reliable fermenters as they are Diastatic strains that will break down the most complex sugars in a wort.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply.
Looks like my supplier is all out of stock of Saison Yeast... Might have to got with the WLP400 anyway and hopefully that will be get close enough. Safale BE-134 yeast is available but I have never had good experience using dry yeast. Tried about 5 times and made 40 batches in total.

Latest posts

Back