Brewing With Chocolate

Discussion in 'General Recipe Discussion' started by MyQul, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Jan 16, 2017 #1

MyQul

MyQul

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored Moderator

2. Oct 29, 2017 #2

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

Regular. Supporting Member

I'm thinking of creating a syrup/extract with 100g of cocao powder. Using sugar, vanilla extract. Leaving in fridge over night. Then put in the boil. I've heard it's a bit bitter otherwise. But then wouldn't the sugars from the malts not be enough?

3. Oct 29, 2017 #3

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

I think extract is wasted in the boil and better to add it in secondary or bottling. For the boil i would use a couple of vanilla beans. Cheapest i buy them for is £6 for 4. The coco powder is very bitter and adds more perceived bitterness which is why adding lactose can be good or more crystal. If you add sugar to the boil it will thin out the beer and ferment out so not exactly sure what the point of leaving it overnight is. I have just made a stout with a caramel sauce though so i guess that's just the same. I plan to try out some chocolate essence soon. Will split a stout and add various flavours.

BeerisGOD likes this.
  4. Oct 29, 2017 #4

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

I think I'll go for crystal as the cheapest I've seen the lactose is on eBay and it's around six quid! Unless this is supermarkets cheaper?

GerritT likes this.
  5. Oct 29, 2017 #5

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

I've said this before, but the easiest way to get chocolate flavour into beer is to use Chocolate malt, does exactly what name suggests and has no disadvantages like adding head killing fats, odd textures or adding extra processes to fermentation. Steep it and add to a kit or extract brew, or add to mash before sparge to get flavour and colour with reduced roasty bitterness.

Chocolate Malt

6. Oct 29, 2017 #6

chub1

chub1

chub1

Junior Member Supporting Member

C. if you want some lactose i can send some up. How much you wanting?

BeerisGOD likes this.
  7. Nov 2, 2017 #7

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

There's also a thread on chocolate and 'pale' chocolate malt, which concludes the pale comes off more choclately, as I'm off to my local HB store later this is most likely the grain I'll be purchasing of the two.

Sad field, I see what ur saying but I'm sure brewers are just trying to achieve even stronger choc character for they're beer by using powder/nibs.

MyQul likes this.
  8. Nov 2, 2017 #8

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

I'd go along with that, but invariably there isn't a strong chocolate element to the base recipe. Often it seems that many go straight for the obvious addition and not look to use core brewing ingredients to achieve their goal. Usually this requires more effort and can be detrimental to other aspects of the beer.

For example, I've seen brewery's going to the effort of making salted caramel for Salted Caramel Stout, when a healthy crystal malt addition in the mash, and a salt addition at packaging, would be easier and more controllable. With the added bonus of making the Stout richer and fuller bodied rather than thinning it out with an unnecessary large sugar addition from the caramel.

Design a beer, rather than modify an existing recipe.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

9. Nov 2, 2017 #9

Simonh82

Simonh82

Simonh82

Regular.

I made a very standard porter recently Maris Otter, medium crystal and 200g of chocolate malt. I tried the first runnings before any hops were added and was staggered at how much like hot chocolate it tasted.

The end result was a nice porter but didn't taste very chocolatey. I think we expect chocolate to be sweet, so I think the suggestion to use lactose or another way to sweeten makes sense.

10. Nov 2, 2017 #10

chub1

chub1

chub1

Junior Member Supporting Member

Going to have a bash at a 'Youngs' double choc stout at some point:)

11. Nov 2, 2017 #11

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

Totally. Designing in some residual sweetness through mash temperature, dextrine malts, yeast selection or lactose would work. Or a combination of.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk