Brewing with river water.. Good/bad idea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spring water is okay to use. In my early brewing efforts I collected Malvern spring water to brew.

I regret that back then I had other major issues with my brewing that voided the usefulness of the trial (fermentation temperature control).

Martin

In Australia folk use tank water for brewing, will definitely contain possum s**t maybe even a dead possum. What puts me of using my tank water is chemicals coming down with the rain chemicals or insecticides cant be boiled off. Chinese use human waste on their crops, was done in England years ago but now with all the drugs, chemotherapy, that can't be a good idea.
Sensible thing to do use your tap.
I can tell you for a fact human waste is used on uk fields and they get paid for using it .

I made a batch of beer last year with water from my local river (Thurso River). I used to drink the water as a child (and still do!) when out fishing, as long as it was flowing. The water is constantly being purified as it runs over rocks, through gravel, sand, etc. I made sure the water was boiled for a good hour before use and then it obviously would be boiled again as part of the brewing process. I can honestly say it was one of the best beers I've ever made. Considering another batch next month actually and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Granted I'm in the highlands so run-offs from sewers etc. are pretty rare and I know where they are so where to avoid.

Back