Brewkits and spraymalt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first brew kit has arrived - Muntons Gold - Docklands Porter (40 pints). I also have a 500g bag of Muntons dark spraymalt.
I'm looking forward to brew day but have some questions first:
- do I add the whole spraymalt bag to the fermenting bin and
- does it go in at the start of the fermentation process or some days later?

I also noticed in the beer kit instructions that 1/2 a teaspoon of light spraymalt should be added per pint at bottling stage. If I've already used the dark spraymalt in the fermentation process do I still add light spraymalt when bottling?

Any advice is welcome. Many thanks.

That's a 3kg premium two can kit. You don't need the spraymalt unless you want to push it beyond the 4.5%.

You always need some sort of priming sugar at bottling.

How long does it say to brew the kit for? If it's anything under 10 days then ignore it. 10 to 14 days is a better idea when you're new.

Thanks Drunkula athumb...
Yes, it's the 2 can kit. According to the instructions takes 8 - 12 days to brew. I'll follow your advice and not rush to bottle it too soon.
I quite liked the idea of adding spraymalt for extra body - as this is my first attempt maybe I should leave it out and save it for the next kit. Out of interest, if I were to add it would 500g make that much difference?
Can I prime with dark malt or should I use light as in the instructions?
Cheers :beer1:

The issue with lack of body tends to be a problem with single can kits made with a kilo of sugar. A two can kit is all malt extract so this is less of an issue.

.5KG of DME in 23L has a gravity of about 1.008 (this won’t fully ferment but say about 75% actuation will add about .8% to the beer. Personally I would be tempted to just chuck it in.

With regards to priming I tend to use ordinary caster sugar it’s not that you can’t use DME but I don’t think it really adds anything to the beer so not worth the premium.

Fermentation time, (listen to @Drunkula and give it at least ten days also while it’s cliche (and isn’t always needed) but the 2-2-2 rule is a good rule of thumb when it doubt. Two weeks in primary, two weeks in a bottle somewhere warm to carbonate and two weeks somewhere cool to condition. I always wonder if kit Malaga tires (correction kit manufactures) just want to alienate new brewers given their often overly optimistic instructions regarding timing.

Last edited:
Hi, as it's a 3kg all malt kit I'd brew it as it is and save the spraymalt for a cheaper single can/pouch kit . I use table sugar for priming with no problems. All the best with it and let us know how it turns out.athumb..

Thanks obscure athumb.. . Now I understand it's more of a single can issue. If 500g isn't going to make it silly stupid strong I'm going to add it.
I'll use caster sugar this time and get probably get carbonation drops for future use. I've b=never heard of them before until I was going through other threads.
I like the 2-2-2 rule but you've lost me on the kit Malaga tires:?:. Some reference to Muntons?
Appreciate the reply anyhow.
acheers.

Hi, as it's a 3kg all malt kit I'd brew it as it is and save the spraymalt for a cheaper single can/pouch kit . I use table sugar for priming with no problems. All the best with it and let us know how it turns out.athumb..
Thanks for the reply DavieC. Brewday at the weekend - I'll keep you posted.

Thanks obscure athumb.. . Now I understand it's more of a single can issue. If 500g isn't going to make it silly stupid strong I'm going to add it.
I'll use caster sugar this time and get probably get carbonation drops for future use. I've b=never heard of them before until I was going through other threads.
I like the 2-2-2 rule but you've lost me on the kit Malaga tires:?:. Some reference to Muntons?
Appreciate the reply anyhow.
acheers.
I wish I could blame it on too much beer but sadly I am completely sober that should be Kit manufactures not sure how auto correct ended up with that).

As for carbonation drops they do work absolutely fine but are basically sugar cubes (so you are very much paying a premium for convenience (which auto correct wanted to replace with vomit sense not sure on the link to convenience).

I wish I could blame it on too much beer but sadly I am completely sober that should be Kit manufactures not sure how auto correct ended up with that).

As for carbonation drops they do work absolutely fine but are basically sugar cubes (so you are very much paying a premium for convenience (which auto correct wanted to replace with vomit sense not sure on the link to convenience).
:laugh8: sounds like you need a drink.......i take your point about the carb drops

Back