Brewly 30L Conical Cooling Fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also be very interested if anyone had any thoughts; I'm struggling to keep my wort cool enough and wondering how effective the chiller element of this is likely to be? Or am I better off making a brew fridge instead?

Last edited:
That looks like a good bit of kit!!! The cooling coil will work a treat.

I would also be very interested if anyone had any thoughts; I'm struggling to keep my wort cool enough and wondering how effective the chiller element of this is likely to be? Or am I better off making a brew fridge instead?
You’ll probably have to ferment somewhere close to a hose and monitor the temperature regularly, but if you have the ability to do this it will work well IMO.

Angel Homebrew have the version without the cooler for £155 and you’d be more than £13 to set up a fermenting fridge, even if you pick a fridge up for free from Gumtree/Facebook. Depends if you are willing to pay more for the “automation” that a brew fridge gives you.

Without a fridge, what would you put through the cooling coil? You'd use too much water if it wasn't re-circulated and if it is, then you still need to keep it cool. The other option is glycol. You'd still need a pump and ancillaries. Or buy a ready made glycol chilling system for a lot of money.

I'm not saying this is a bad fermenter or the cooling coils are not a good idea, I just wonder about the practicality of it without further extensive investment. Instead, I'd probably opt for a cooling "blanket" which could be wrapped around the outside of the fermenter and temperature controlled. Less cleaning, less waste. I don't know if that's the answer, but I am looking for good temperature control method, without spending another grand.

Please have a look and my other post about the chiller unit. All questions are answered.

The only issue i can see that would put me off is how small the bottom opening is. Id want a 2" triclamp on their

For temperature controlled fermentation I have a 6mm copper coil wrapped around ss brewbucket this connects via tubing (which is disconnectable) to a Cornelius cooler (ebay) plus a heating belt all controlled with a ink bird. Transfer pre cooled wort at anything below 30 C. By the time I have cleared up its cool enough to pitch and doesn't take too long to get down to 22 C my preferred temp for ale fermentation . Benefit over cooling coils in your fermenter as no risk of introducing infection and a lot easier to clean (you don't) I do use immersion coil to cool wort wort (rather then the GF Counter flow) but that's been boiled stupid for 90 mins. I only use water in the cornelius, I could use glycol but just haven't needed to.

Its a bit of a faff getting the copper tube loops to all touch tightly the stainless and as the fv is conical the loops want to fall off, they are secured via three large diameter ss jubilee clips.

I've been thinking about this, and reading a little. I think there's a couple of options, specifically regarding the immersed coil.

An external electric camping fridge. Filled with iced water on brew day and turned on to maximum cooling. An immersed aquarium pump to pump water from the camping fridge into the immersed cooler in the fermenter. And as mentioned above an Ink Bird to control power to and from the pump, based on temperature.

A similar but related option, does away with the electric camping fridge and just uses an old fashioned cool box instead. However, also in the mix now is an aquarium cooler. This keeps the water in the cool box cold. Ink bird still controls the water pump, but the aquarium cooler probably has its own sensor for cooling the water.

aquariumcooler2.png

I've been thinking about this, and reading a little. I think there's a couple of options, specifically regarding the immersed coil.

An external electric camping fridge. Filled with iced water on brew day and turned on to maximum cooling. An immersed aquarium pump to pump water from the camping fridge into the immersed cooler in the fermenter. And as mentioned above an Ink Bird to control power to and from the pump, based on temperature.

A similar but related option, does away with the electric camping fridge and just uses an old fashioned cool box instead. However, also in the mix now is an aquarium cooler. This keeps the water in the cool box cold. Ink bird still controls the water pump, but the aquarium cooler probably has its own sensor for cooling the water.

View attachment 24214
A maxi 310 beer chiller then. A self contained unit

Yep as itry said You can also get smaller versions or even ones with no internal coil, if you don't need to cool on dispense just, a recirculating unit.

You get a lot of brew fridge for £160! And you don’t need a water supply, just a bit of mains electricals ;)

It doesn't need a water supply, it has its own reservoir,its this that's cooled and recirculated through external pipework, this is this morning brew pitched at about 27 now sitting at 22 C. The copper coils are just below the handles concealed under the three large jubilee clips which are holding them in place. and the heating belt below. IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

Did you go for the Brewly in the end? I bought one at the start of the year and wish I hadn't! The lid doesn't even seal. :( I contacted the company I bought it from and they sent me a couple of replacement seals, neither of which work. I think it's just quite poorly manufactured, unfortunately. I also have a Brew Monk version, which seems way better. Great seal and larger valves which are less prone to clogging.

Back