Brewmate?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK....so I have played about some more and by changing the malt amounts a little and reducing the sugar I now have the bitterness (IBU), the colour (EBC) and the Alcohol (ABV) all matching those in the recipe. Fingers crossed for the right result on brew day. :pray:

I wouldn't have changed the proportions of the malts to get the colour right - you will affect the flavour and texture of the beer by doing this. If you have increased the crystal it will be sweeter, if you reduced it the beer will be less sweet. The best way to get the colour right is to get exactly the same malts and the exact recipe. Failing this, either don't worry about the colour (my approach), or darken the beer with a small amount of black malt without affecting flavour much.

Is it a mid to dark beer? Brewmate uses Morey, which is largely a load of nonsense, so you'll find that your beer is darker than the estimate once you get beyond a certain point. I'm not convinced linear calculations are perfect either, but in my experience they're a lot closer than Morey. I added linear support to my "forked" version, as well as fixing a few issues with the EBC conversions and it seems to be reasonably accurate now, although it's only ever going to be an estimate and not really worth losing sleep over :)

I suppose I will have to see now how it comes out. I did increase the amount of crystal malt clibit but I did reduce the amount of sugar listed for the recipe to compensate. The colour of the brew for the recipe Grumpydev is 35 EBC.

I suppose I will have to see now how it comes out. I did increase the amount of crystal malt clibit but I did reduce the amount of sugar listed for the recipe to compensate. The colour of the brew for the recipe Grumpydev is 35 EBC.

With a linear calculation that's about 73 EBC based one one of my recipes of similar colour.

One thing I forgot to ask about the settings. I was not sure what to set the efficiency at so I left it at the default of 70%. Was that the correct thing to do or should I have set it higher?

I'm sure the beer will be fine, just warning it's a bit risky to change recipes until you're experienced.

One thing I forgot to ask about the settings. I was not sure what to set the efficiency at so I left it at the default of 70%. Was that the correct thing to do or should I have set it higher?

I generally leave the default setting of 70%. If I get lower than 70% (extremely rare for me nowadays) I will look into why, any thing above 70% is a bonus - more beer!

Almost brewdog. Target OG was 1.055 I managed 1.054 so not bad for my first go I suppose. Just have to see how it turns out. 4 days in and still fermenting, :)

Back