Brewnaldos brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popped stage 1 (1 litre of LME wort) of a starter on there. I am making GH Munich Helles, but I have Wyeast Munich II instead of Copenhagen. GEB seemed to have a real dearth of liquid yeasts the other week when I ordered.

I imagine a Munich Yeast in a Munich Helles should surely be an ample sub..... Anyway il knock this up by two stages and get it lobbed in when I find a brewday next week.

Munich Helles is a style I really enjoy, but the wife had asked me to brew GH Mexican Cerveza and I couldn't cos of yeast stock issues, so I'm hoping his version of Helles hits the mark.

Brewday for my GH Munich Helles commenced at 0700. I was probably 45 minutes into the mash when I noted a potential **** up.... I check and add heat to my mash intermittently, stirring and monitoring temp at the top to keep at 65, with the digiboil thermostat set to 70.....

Except this time I walked away for a while leaving the 1900W element on. I imagine it probably heated up to 70 twice in the time I was away maybe.....

When I got there, the top temp was 66, and when I stirred it up it all stayed at 66 so I'm hoping (and I think I have) got away with that one....

Well the rest of the brewday went smoothly, but I was a few points short. I think I maybe went a little bit high on water volume in the mash.... Maybe.
Anyway, no matter, slight gravity adjustment with some LME I had on hand and were just waiting on the wort temp dropping slightly before pitching the yeast. Then it will be tucked up for about a wee at 11 degrees before ramping up.

27 days in the FV in total for this one, and I have never in my time brewing seen anything get packaged as clear as this.... At -1 degrees and with me suffering from the tail end of a cold, I can't say there was a huge amount of flavour there, but I think that will sort itself put.

Attachments

• 20230704_174328.jpg
    20230704_174328.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
27 days in the FV in total for this one, and I have never in my time brewing seen anything get packaged as clear as this.... At -1 degrees and with me suffering from the tail end of a cold, I can't say there was a huge amount of flavour there, but I think that will sort itself put.
Clear as!

Tried this last night. Its early doors really only.kegged a few days ago but there seemed to he just the faintest whiff of diacetyl. Given the outrageously good clarity on this one, il be absolutely gutted if that becomes its defining feature. It got a good long D rest which I made a point of starting whilst still above FG.

F*&^£%#@CK!!!!!!!!!!

First brewday in ages today. Making a sort of happy golden ale. Made up the order ages ago and didn't wrote down my intended recipe but I recall a small charge of bittering hops then the rest split between flameout and dry hop, a grain bill of pale malt with a wee touch of crystal to add a slight bit of colour and body and one of those WL pure pitch yeasts. English Ale I think.

Anyway, the mash is on and wel end up with beer, no doubt about that!

20g each of citra, azacca and sabro I have, so il got 10 of each at 80c and 10 of each in the dry hop. 13g of centennial is the bittering.... WLP002 English Ale yeast is the yeast I have. Its a pure pitch pack. Been in my fridge a while but I'd imagine it's still more than healthy enough for what I'm making.

well..... The brewday that starts early finishes early. Aside from not having pitched the yeast yet as I have recently begun taking pitch temp more seriously and having realised the temp in the FV was 28, I felt it was too hot. So we cool down for an hour or two. Having the water up to strike temp before I get up really is a godsend for me.

That said, after a small couple of months brewing hiatus, I find myself beginning to crave the automation and convenience of an AIO system. I think if I'm brewing more over winter when I can't get out to the golf course, this is going to eat away at me now the seed is planted.....

24 hours since the yeast was pitched and there is no action so far. Unless someone can tell me different for WL002, il give this 48 hours max then il pitch something else. AllnI have is Philly Sour, but I'm OK with that for this wort.

Back