Brewnaldos brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen it written that Brewfather overestimates what you get from roasted malt in the mash. Could this be the source of this shortfall we think? I had 500g of roasted barley in the grist.
I think you could be right. I'm not a big brewer of dark ales but I do recall dropping quite a few points in the mash when I did a porter.

I think you could be right. I'm not a big brewer of dark ales but I do recall dropping quite a few points in the mash when I did a porter.

Im going to have a look and see what BF attributes to the roast barley. My suspicion is that I got nothing at all from it. I was worried that a low OG with roast barley included would lead to a high FG, but I am doen to 1.014 after 48 hours so I expect maybe a slow creep down to .010 or .011 hopefully.

ETA so aye, I did that there and the 500g of Roasted Barley in the mash, according to Brewfather is worth 4 points of gravity..... I cant really give this much in the way of context tbh, but my gut tells me I got none of them and this explains the shortfall

500 g of roasted barley sounds a lot! What was the batch size? I've done an 'Irish stout' a few times, including just the other day. In that I used 170 g of roasted barley, set against 2.8 kg of base malt, for a nominal 15 litre batch (there's also some flaked barley, and other bits and pieces in there). I haven't have a prob reaching desired OGs with that. Maybe you are using more barley proportionally than me?

500 g of roasted barley sounds a lot! What was the batch size? I've done an 'Irish stout' a few times, including just the other day. In that I used 170 g of roasted barley, set against 2.8 kg of base malt, for a nominal 15 litre batch (there's also some flaked barley, and other bits and pieces in there). I haven't have a prob reaching desired OGs with that. Maybe you are using more barley proportionally than me?
Recupe lifted from the numerous threads around (and on BF library) that sort of reckon used to be Guinness recipe. I added the oats as my last stout needed a little extra in terms of body/mouthfeel

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-145829_Brewfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-145829_Brewfather.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 52
That’s about right but it also depends on the roasted barley being mashed for long enough. If you added the roasted barley at the end of the mash you may fall short by a couple of points.
The 4 points is right? Thats a bit annoying to read really... I now need to look at myself since I usually land there or thereabout with my mashes.

That being said, I did lose my hour timer at some point when I reset my phone, and took a guess where I was.... I winder if I inadvertently cut 10 to 15 minutes off the mash.... I dont think so but its a possibility

The 4 points is right? Thats a bit annoying to read really... I now need to look at myself since I usually land there or thereabout with my mashes.

That being said, I did lose my hour timer at some point when I reset my phone, and took a guess where I was.... I winder if I inadvertently cut 10 to 15 minutes off the mash.... I dont think so but its a possibility

Timing could make a difference but the further you are into the mash the less impact.

Do you check pH? If your pH is off then that can affect efficiency.

Do you mill your own grain? If purchased as pre-milled you may have got some that’s coarse milled - again affecting efficiency.

Timing could make a difference but the further you are into the mash the less impact.

Do you check pH? If your pH is off then that can affect efficiency.

Do you mill your own grain? If purchased as pre-milled you may have got some that’s coarse milled - again affecting efficiency.

I pretty mucb always use GEB custom kits for whatever recipe I decide to make so I doubt theres a lack of consistency there. I didnt check the pH I do need to buy a meter. I treated the water as per the Brewfsther calcs so it should have been in range.

Based on the recipe in #124, that equates to roasted barley being about 9% of the total bill if my arithmetic is correct. In my version I used 5%.

But I'm not claiming either is right or wrong, though! 😃

Based on the recipe in #124, that equates to roasted barley being about 9% of the total bill if my arithmetic is correct. In my version I used 5%.

But I'm not claiming either is right or wrong, though! 😃
I think theres a thread on here thats pretty much about that recipe... You are correct 9.1% on the recipe sheet.

I should add that despite it only being 2 days in, and fingers crossed not QUITE at FG yet.... That wee sample I took tasted pretty nice.

Im actually considering carbing this one in the keg and bottling via bottling gun. Its not something I have been doing as I cant currently refrigerate my keg which results in pretty poorly carbonated bottles once they have been through the gun, however since we are aiming for Guinnes levels of carb anyway, I might just go for it.

I am starting to question bottle conditioning in terms of flavour. I often feel I can detect a little bit of raw alcohol flavour in bottle conditioned beers even if nothing similar was present at bottling time. Im a bit loose with secondary fermenting temps and I wonder if my beers are being harmed by this somewhat. I imagine there are numerous threads on this.... Might have a rake on nightshift tonight

Ordered the ferminator lastnight, along with a batch of grain to make a lager.

Im so excited 😊

Did you watch their video yesterday?
Congratulations on your order ☺
Is there a new one? I have watched loads of stuff on them but I will no dount be resurrecting the threads on here very shortly, once my tendency to fail at gadgeting gets a chance to make its mark....

Enjoyed that.... I have a batch of pils, munich and a wee touch of crystal coming, some MH to go with the Herkules I have. Now if the good lads at GEB can just stop fannying about with their admittedly enjoyable videos, just temporarily whilst they dispatch the infrastructure associated with a massive increase in lager production for me.....

I liked that video, I wish I'd seen it years ago. Although if I had my time over and they were available back then I would have gone with multiple Fermzillas and the new Rapt Fermentation chamber. I'm not complaining about the Grainfather conical, but the absence of pressure fermentation for the price point sticks in my craw.

Technically Brewnaldos bottling day for this... Just used the Blichmann beer gun for only the second time on my stout. Possibly the low carb levels, but it was an absolute breeze and made bottling day almost a pleasure.

Festbier type brew today inspired by the fantastic example DocAnna furnished me with and in inauguration of my ferminator.

Loads of Munich, a little crystal, Herkules and Mittelfruh.... Expectations are high but matching up to Annas will be quite the challenge.

Technically Brewnaldos bottling day for this... Just used the Blichmann beer gun for only the second time on my stout. Possibly the low carb levels, but it was an absolute breeze and made bottling day almost a pleasure.
This sounds good - anything that makes bottling day a bit easier 🥳 !

Latest posts

Back