Brewnaldos brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone give me some thoughts on this, my recipe for this weeks brewday, weather permitting.......
Fermentables (5.55 kg)
4.78 kg - Mash - Extra Pale Malt 3.4 EBC (86.1%)
480 g - Mash - Vienna Malt 5.9 EBC (8.7%)
290 g - Mash - Torrefied Wheat 5 EBC (5.2%)

Hops (240 g)
70 min - 10 g - Tomahawk - 15.5% (17 IBU)

Hop Stand 20 min hopstand @ 75 °C
20 min 75 °C - 50 g - Azacca - 15% (7 IBU)
20 min 75 °C - 40 g - Amarillo - 9.2% (4 IBU)
20 min 75 °C - 25 g - Galaxy - 14% (3 IBU)

Dry Hops 5 days
- 50 g - Azacca - 15% 5 days
- 40 g - Amarillo - 9.2% 5 days
- 25 g - Galaxy - 14%

Miscellaneous
Mash - 2.4 g - Calcium Chloride (CaCl2)
Mash - 8.6 g - Gypsum (CaSO4)
Sparge - 0.96 g - Calcium Chloride (CaCl2)
Sparge - 3.44 g - Gypsum (CaSO4)
Yeast 1 pkg - Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell M36

Had to look up Azacca as i'd not heard of it before (sounds lovely), your recipe sounds very similar to my 3c's IPA which turned out to be the best IPA i've done so I think you're on to a winner with this one! I had more boil hops, so mine was more bitter but that may not be what your aiming for. 👍

Had to look up Azacca as i'd not heard of it before (sounds lovely), your recipe sounds very similar to my 3c's IPA which turned out to be the best IPA i've done so I think you're on to a winner with this one! I had more boil hops, so mine was more bitter but that may not be what your aiming for. 👍
Cheers I'm looking forward to this one. Brewing it as we speak. A glorious day for it aswell. Spring might just have sprung here.....

Mash on, hops weighed out and a first outing for Hazelwoods sparging technique which I hope can add a few points of efficiency for me. Brewfather will be consulted throughout

How's it going?

My next will be a Belgian Pale Ale from Greg Hughes book, something light for the (hopefully) coming warmer weather. Hoping to get the mash on overnight Saturday.

How's it going?

My next will be a Belgian Pale Ale from Greg Hughes book, something light for the (hopefully) coming warmer weather. Hoping to get the mash on overnight Saturday.

All good. Proceeding well although @Hazelwood Brewery may be disappointed to know I came out at about 73%. However, it is a 3% gain on my last brew and I did an Express version of his sparge technique, using a 2 litre out 2 litre in regime, and recircing by jug only 3 or 4 times between each addition. This was due to time constraints, but I think it's fair to assume that 10 x 1 litre steps and longer spent circulating wort would yield some more again. On that basis I am calling it a success and am of the opinion that 73% efficiency from the BIAB method is pretty ok.

All good. Proceeding well although @Hazelwood Brewery may be disappointed to know I came out at about 73%. However, it is a 3% gain on my last brew and I did an Express version of his sparge technique, using a 2 litre out 2 litre in regime, and recircing by jug only 3 or 4 times between each addition. This was due to time constraints, but I think it's fair to assume that 10 x 1 litre steps and longer spent circulating wort would yield some more again. On that basis I am calling it a success and am of the opinion that 73% efficiency from the BIAB method is pretty ok.

I would only have been disappointed if you’d got those results having fully replicated my approach. I think given the larger volumes in/out and only three or four jugs recirculated it is reasonable to expect less improvement. Smaller volumes and more recirculation will improve things further if that’s what you want.

My own recirculation is slow and continuous with smaller volumes removed/added at each interval. For interest, I also found that seven-minute intervals of recirculation doubled the improvement over five-minute intervals (9 minutes made no further improvement).

The approach I think is sound, you just have to balance the improvement against the time/effort you’re prepared to put in.

I would only have been disappointed if you’d got those results having fully replicated my approach. I think given the larger volumes in/out and only three or four jugs recirculated it is reasonable to expect less improvement. Smaller volumes and more recirculation will improve things further if that’s what you want.

My own recirculation is slow and continuous with smaller volumes removed/added at each interval. For interest, I also found that seven-minute intervals of recirculation doubled the improvement over five-minute intervals (9 minutes made no further improvement).

The approach I think is sound, you just have to balance the improvement against the time/effort you’re prepared to put in.
Yeah its certainly something I will be taking forward I think, and perhaps even looking into getting a pump so that I can let it do its thing over a linger time.

Yeah its certainly something I will be taking forward I think, and perhaps even looking into getting a pump so that I can let it do its thing over a linger time.
A pump is definitely worth considering in my view. Mine is used to maintain an even grain bed temperature, to recirculate the wort through the grain which helps to clear it, for the more efficient sparge we’re talking about now, for “whirlpooling”, and for cooling the wort through a plate chiller. Useful bit of kit!

Well the brew is almost tucked up.

Look at that layer of trub though.... Lobbing the whole lot over to the FV is looking like a mistake here....

20210316_133528.jpg

Yon trub layer has receded a little bit. Just topped it up with 110g of dry hops.... This brew tasting good if a little thin. Hopefully some carbonation will help that. I am in two minds about how to package this one tbh. O2 free into the big keg to carb up then bottle from there might be a plan....

Those dry hops taste absolutely sensational. On course to be a really good brew once carbed up. Going to transfer over to keg asap and pressured up and try to drop the last of the hops out before getting the beer gun out again. Really really excited following this sample. The fruit flavours are right in your face.

20210326_121252.jpg

Well its been a while... Over a month since I brewed. Life gets in the way.... Anyway I have a plan for a lemon and lime lager next, but wishing to check a recipe with anyone who happens to see this...

I'm looking to brew a summery ale with elderflower, so I have ordered a batch of extra pale malt, and the hops are admiral for bittering, 60g of EKG to distribute late in the boil (Wouldnt mind some advice on timings for EKG to get the best out of it) and 150g of elderflowers which I suspect i'll split between flameout and dry addition. On the brewfather recipe I have some honey in it too but yet to decide if I will actually use that. Will be Liberty Bell on the yeast front.

Any thoughts appreciated as always

Almost another month between posts. This is getting shambolic! Anyway just bottled my lemon and lime lager, and the taste straight from FV is absolitely glorious. Im so excited for this to carb up now. I think I may have lucked onto a belter here.

My slow year continues, but found time to brew my elderflower pale ale yesterday. For the first time ever, I havent bothered putting the heat tape round the FV. My garage is so bloody hot in this spell of weather that theres simply nothing I can do to prevent temperature cycling on this one, so I am just going to gamble that it doesnt go cold enough overnight to put the yeast to sleep, and keep fingers crossed I dont end up too hot during the day.

The lack of a brew fridge really killing me here.

The lack of a brew fridge really killing me here.
I struggled on without a brew fridge for years. Now I've got two. They didn't cost me anything except the price of a couple of inkbird controllers. I don't know how I've managed the past five years without them. When I brewed in poole, I had an old pub bottle fridge with glass doors that I could get three barrels in. A great bit of kit that the local liberal club were chucking out because it needed re-gassing. Shame I couldn't bring it with me.

I struggled on without a brew fridge for years. Now I've got two. They didn't cost me anything except the price of a couple of inkbird controllers. I don't know how I've managed the past five years without them. When I brewed in poole, I had an old pub bottle fridge with glass doors that I could get three barrels in. A great bit of kit that the local liberal club were chucking out because it needed re-gassing. Shame I couldn't bring it with me.

To be fair, its rare in Scotland to have to worry about the cooling side for a 20 degree ferment, but it limits my lager production, and more importantly getting good use out my kegs and bottling gun. Beginning to feel like something I cant afford not to sort out.

Less than 48 hours for Liberty Bell to chew 21 litres of 1.052 edlerflower ale down to 1.008....

The temperature has really forced this one along, which probably isnt ideal but it does taste nice out of the FV, will leave it a good few days to clean up after itself and with things beginning to cool down, might just have managed to avoid brew ruining off flavours fongers crossed. Loving the colour of this one, that Extra Pale malt really is.... well.... extra pale

16273962146361579295183166011354.jpg

Brewed the oft discussed "Guinness" recipe of Pale Malt, Flaked barley and roasted barley today, with Wyeast Irish Ale yeast to pitch once the wort cools down a degree or two.

However, I missed my target OG by something approaching 5 points, and that was despite lobbing some spraymalt in as I knew I was going to be short pre boil.

I have seen it written that Brewfather overestimates what you get from roasted malt in the mash. Could this be the source of this shortfall we think? I had 500g of roasted barley in the grist.

Anyone give me some thoughts on this, my recipe for this weeks brewday, weather permitting.......
Fermentables (5.55 kg)
4.78 kg - Mash - Extra Pale Malt 3.4 EBC (86.1%)
480 g - Mash - Vienna Malt 5.9 EBC (8.7%)
290 g - Mash - Torrefied Wheat 5 EBC (5.2%)

Hops (240 g)
70 min - 10 g - Tomahawk - 15.5% (17 IBU)

Hop Stand 20 min hopstand @ 75 °C
20 min 75 °C - 50 g - Azacca - 15% (7 IBU)
20 min 75 °C - 40 g - Amarillo - 9.2% (4 IBU)
20 min 75 °C - 25 g - Galaxy - 14% (3 IBU)

Dry Hops 5 days
- 50 g - Azacca - 15% 5 days
- 40 g - Amarillo - 9.2% 5 days
- 25 g - Galaxy - 14%

Miscellaneous
Mash - 2.4 g - Calcium Chloride (CaCl2)
Mash - 8.6 g - Gypsum (CaSO4)
Sparge - 0.96 g - Calcium Chloride (CaCl2)
Sparge - 3.44 g - Gypsum (CaSO4)
Yeast 1 pkg - Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell M36

That looks nice, tempted to try the hop bill myself, although I'd likely sub the Tomahawk for Magnum. At which point did you dry hop?

Back