Brewzilla 3.1.1 fine mesh screen for malt pipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got round to buying the brewzilla 3.1.1 and opened up to check the contents (I can't actually do a brew until I have moved house at the end of the month).
I was expecting a fine mesh screen to be included that I believe goes on top of the bottom plate of the grain basket to help prevent it getting clogged up. Did anyone have one included in theirs?
I know some of the parts look similar, so to clarify, I have:
  • False bottom
  • Bottom plate for grain basket
  • Top plate for grain basket

Also, there were no instructions included -is this normal? Happy to use downloaded instructions, but thought it was odd. :confused.:

I've got the fine mesh bottom somewhere but I've never used it.

No instructions included in mine either. Youtube helped me get it set up.

I finally got round to buying the brewzilla 3.1.1 and opened up to check the contents (I can't actually do a brew until I have moved house at the end of the month).
I was expecting a fine mesh screen to be included that I believe goes on top of the bottom plate of the grain basket to help prevent it getting clogged up. Did anyone have one included in theirs?
  • False bottom

Also, there were no instructions included -is this normal? Happy to use downloaded instructions, but thought it was odd. :confused.:

There were no instructions with mine but they are online. You should have had a fine meat screen included. I always use mine. If you didn’t get one contact whoever you bought it from.

• False bottom

Same here, when I enquired about it with the seller they said that they no longer supply it as there were so many issues with stuck mashes/spares etc. I've not had any issues and as others have said just download the user guide and watch stuff on YouTube.

I've never used the fine mesh screen and I always use rice hulls to increase efficiency and to avoid stuck sparges. After I had a few brews under my belt, I stopped using the tube in the middle of the mash pipe (I bought a plate without a hole but I wish I had just plugged it as it's a 1/4" BSP thread). Now I don't use the plate that sits on top of the mash either. I use a little wort siphon on the end of the recirculation tube.
21jS9H-e-TL._AC_.jpg

I've never used the fine mesh screen and I always use rice hulls to increase efficiency and to avoid stuck sparges. After I had a few brews under my belt, I stopped using the tube in the middle of the mash pipe (I bought a plate without a hole but I wish I had just plugged it as it's a 1/4" BSP thread). Now I don't use the plate that sits on top of the mash either. I use a little wort siphon on the end of the recirculation tube.
View attachment 53689
Where did you get that gizmo ? I can find a Uk supplier anywhere

Sure you've already found it but the instructions can be found here (hope this works) and are quite helpful: https://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/BrewZilla 35L - Instruction Manual.pdf

Also echo the comments about homebrew network, I watched loads of his vids before I bought the BZ, so much content I felt like I could brew without even having to refer to any instructions.

I've also never used the fine mesh - I heard it could create stuck mash/sparge so didn't even take the risk. 10 brews in so far and never had a stuck flow of any kind.

Where did you get that gizmo ? I can find a Uk supplier anywhere

I watched Little Johns Brewing on YouTube and saw that he used one but I couldn't find one in the UK or Ireland. They only seem to be on sale in the Australia and the US.

I got mine on the Amazon US but they only come up for sale every now and again (Brewing BE510 Siphon Spray Wort Aerator New Premium Materials: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific).

A friend of mine bought a couple from a brew shop in the US but had to pay $21 shipping and it had to be by done via PayPal as their site can't handle International credit card address verification (Siphon Spray Wort Aerator).

However, if you know someone with a 3D printer then here's a free CAD (Wort Aerator - STLFinder ). Although its needs to be done with food grade filament.

Tell me your secret ! My mash is soooooo slow to drain every brew I now keep the top screen off and stir every 10 minutes or so

For me I just make sure I add the grain slowly in stages to the water, giving a good stir as i go and making sure no clumps/dough balls. let it sit for 5/10 mins before putting the recirculation pump on slowly and making sure the water level doesn't rise too much so i know the water is actually recirculating. I always go with a c 22 litre ish water water volume for the mash i.e. c 3.5 - 4 litres per kilo of grain. For bigger grain bills like a NEIPA it will be a bit thicker due to volume of the BZ not allowing as large a ratio of water to grain. I did this at the weekend with a 7kg grain bill and 22 litres water so more like 3:1, used a couple handfuls rice hulls in the mash which help with drainage, and a slow re-circ on the pump, and it was fine. I might do a stir half way through but only if a thicker mash like the NEIPA. I'm also always nervous about mash water going down the central overflow pipe, but I saw a David Heath NEIPA video (he's been a pro brewer for decades and really knows his stuff) where the mash water is visibly over-flowing and going down the central overflow pipe and he didn't even mention it, so I guess not an issue. He used a Grainfather but same principle.

Hope that helps - if you're already doing all of the above then I'm stuck!

Back