Brewzilla 3.1.1 Mash Temp Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorro

Reaction score
I'm struggling to maintain temp during the mash. I think it's from the false bottom becoming clogged up.

I can rule out grain escaping under the bottom screen as I've just used a seal with the pro screen (check my other post if interested).

The last beer I did was a Marzen with a grain bill of Pilsner, Munich, Vienna and Melaniodin and the temp wouldn't settle down. I buy my grain pre crushed from geterbrewed and I'm using the insulating Jacket.

At clean up I checked the water temps and it was all good.

Usually I mash thickish e.g. 6kg grain and 20 litre of water for this brew, leave for 15 mins and set the pump off about a 1/4 turn. I did hit my numbers, however I had to watch and adjust the temp loads. Which I would prefer not to.

So my thoughts/questions are...

1. Do I invest in a mill and crush my own grain? I would prefer not to, its a cost I could do without right now.

2. Try a more liquid mash, with the default numbers on brewfather to hopefully increase the pump speed.

3. I've ordered the coil and adapter to fit into the pump, to avoid using the false bottom. Does anyone have any issues with escaped grain burning on the bottom etc.?

or have I missed anything else?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back