Brewzilla advice.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello,

For the last 12 months, I have been brewing small 8-ish litre brews, BIAB style on my stove top. I have really enjoyed it, made some good beer, and its been a great introduction into all-grain brewing.

I am now looking to upgrade my kit, and I am considering getting a Brewzilla. I have a few questions, if anyone could give me some advice.

1. I have seen a few different brewing systems available, at that price point, is the Brewzilla considered the best option? Or are there other systems that are worth a look? I did look a cheaper options, such as the Maischfest Boiler Mash Kettle, but it doesn't have some of the features that the Brewzilla offers.

2. Is the Brewzilla relativity reliable? I have read a few complaints/niggles from users. I understand that the system has been updated a few times, with the latest one being the best.

3. I have only done no sparge BIAB. How do you sparge on a Brewzilla? I take it you need some other kettle/pot to heat up the water?

And finally, if anyone has any other advice or reviews then that would be great. Just want to make sure I fully understand how it works, and if its the right choice for me.

Thanks

I would be considering the lack of power if you wanted to do a step mash in a Brewzilla /Robobrew.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...robobrew-or-other-all-in-1.91816/#post-991886The alternative SVB's differently badged but generally from the same manufacturer, Hop Cat is now different but the same circuit board and screen.
You can still do the no sparge in these units just don't expect the same efficiency as BIAB.

I'm a brewZilla owner and have no issues, due to the unit itself. For my personal needs, it has all the functionality require at the correct price. Being able to purchase this from a well regarded retailer, BrewKegTap in my case, gave me piece of mind if something went wrong.

Hit youtube for reviews. There not perfect but I'd buy it again.

I would be considering the lack of power if you wanted to do a step mash in a Brewzilla /Robobrew.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...robobrew-or-other-all-in-1.91816/#post-991886The alternative SVB's differently badged but generally from the same manufacturer, Hop Cat is now different but the same circuit board and screen.
You can still do the no sparge in these units just don't expect the same efficiency as BIAB.
Hi, I have been using the Brewzilla for around 12 months. Overall I have been pleased with the choice. I had been brewing in a similar way to you but wanted to get out of the kitchen into the garage(keep the wife happy). I don't brew full batches still 15-17 litres just because I like to brew every 2 weeks and suits my consumption/sharing level. I use it as intended with the fly sparge method (jug and pasta strainer), although I have also used a brew bag instead of the malt pipe and done a batch sparge with a cool box lifting the grains into the picnic box with pre heated sparge water and then adding back the wort to the main mash. I did like the batch sparge way of doing things, so still sometimes do it this way.

I heat a 3rd of the water on the hob in the kitchen for sparging and carry through to the garage in a cool box until I need it.
Been thinking of getting a cheap induction hob or a tea urn for the sparge water so I don't have to go to the kitchen.

My Brewzilla has been reliable so far and price is better than a grainfather so no complaints as I'm not fussed about the Bluetooth controller. Although I don't think the other similar systems will be much different.

Only downside for me is I would say the clean up with BIAB on the hob was quicker. Running cleaner through the all in one systems and drying all the parts takes a little longer.

I am just giving my opinion from my experiences with the other SVB's on the market. I did have the Robobrew 3 but that was a complete failure, I returned that without using it. I do have a Hopcat, the latest version, and a couple of Guten's, Brew Devil, Brew Monk etc etc. The preferable one is the Braumeister which is out of the OP's price range. Just going from the link which I put up is the lack of power to carry out a step mash. If the OP chooses never to carry out a step mash then the Chinese SVB's are much the same.
When I read the link I posted I did check whether the OP was on his own with his observations about the slow ramp between temperatures, it appears not.

I made a similar move from stove-top BIAB to a Brewzilla 3.1 - been using it for a year or so and it's been reliable so far, overall pretty happy with it for the price.

I heat my sparge water on the kitchen hob (using my old BIAB pot), or sometimes don't bother and just sparge with cold water 😮

My only issues have been with the pump - this blocks very easily and there's no obvious way to fit a filter due to the fitting used for the pump inlet, you can often unblock by backflushing with a large syringe or garden hose, but be careful as I burst one of the pump silicone pipes doing this.

One option I'd consider if buying again is to get a digiboil instead - this is essentially the same vessel but without the programmable controller and pump:

https://brewkegtap.co.uk/collections/brewing-equipment/products/digiboil-35l-turbo-boiler
You could do regular BIAB with that, or it has the option to buy with the malt pipe assembly that's presumably the same as the brewzilla.

I made a similar move from stove-top BIAB to a Brewzilla 3.1 - been using it for a year or so and it's been reliable so far, overall pretty happy with it for the price.

I heat my sparge water on the kitchen hob (using my old BIAB pot), or sometimes don't bother and just sparge with cold water 😮

My only issues have been with the pump - this blocks very easily and there's no obvious way to fit a filter due to the fitting used for the pump inlet, you can often unblock by backflushing with a large syringe or garden hose, but be careful as I burst one of the pump silicone pipes doing this.

One option I'd consider if buying again is to get a digiboil instead - this is essentially the same vessel but without the programmable controller and pump:

https://brewkegtap.co.uk/collections/brewing-equipment/products/digiboil-35l-turbo-boiler
You could do regular BIAB with that, or it has the option to buy with the malt pipe assembly that's presumably the same as the brewzilla.
Thanks for the reply,

I did consider getting a BIAB boiler instead. It certainly is cheaper, and I am already familiar with the method.

However, I did like the idea of the pump. I see there is a 'whirpool' feature, which helps clear the beer. But then again, I have read that the pump system has issues.

Hmmm. Still unsure! ha,

Thanks for the reply,

I did consider getting a BIAB boiler instead. It certainly is cheaper, and I am already familiar with the method.

However, I did like the idea of the pump. I see there is a 'whirpool' feature, which helps clear the beer. But then again, I have read that the pump system has issues.

Hmmm. Still unsure! ha,
The only time I have had a slight block on the pump is when I put whirlpool hops in loose. Since then I have used hop bags for whirlpool and hop cylinder for the boil hops...no blockages since

I have only done 6 brews with my brewzilla so far, even though i got a hop spyder with the kit i have not yet used it.I have added 200g+ to the whirlpool (using whirlpool arm) and had hardly any hop matter when pumping to fv.
Touch wood had no pump blockages yet.Not used the extra fine bottom mesh either.

For the cost and quality i would not hesitate recommending the brewzilla.
There are plenty of decent reviews on youtube to watch, you wont go far wrong with either angel home brew or brewkegtap.

IMG_20210111_230306.jpg

IMG_20210111_230402.jpg

David Heath recommended one of these strainers for the top drain to stop grain going in, I bought a pack of 3 for a couple of quid, one for the kitchen sink, one for the top drain. I had a spare one so bent one side up to slide over the outlet for the pump at the bottom. Fits in nice and snug and (touch wood) never had a stuck pump since!

Last edited:
For the cost and quality i would not hesitate recommending the brewzilla.
There are plenty of decent reviews on youtube to watch, you wont go far wrong with either angel home brew or brewkegtap.
The problem with video reviews, most are marketing hype, better to read on forums what the actual home brewers are finding. At the time I argued against the low watt density elements Keg Land were using, they just aren't needed for concealed elements.
The ramp up times are woeful compared to the others on the market.
View attachment 39352

View attachment 39353
David Heath recommended one of these strainers for the top drain to stop grain going in, I bought a pack of 3 for a couple of quid, one for the kitchen sink, one for the top drain. I had a spare one so bent one side up to slide over the outlet for the pump at the bottom. Fits in nice and snug and (touch wood) never had a stuck pump since!
You can buy purpose built strainers for the bottom, the problem is they don't allow any husks or grains which have fallen in between the malt pipe and the outer casing to get back into the malt pipe. The good thing about re circulation is all the bits that are in the mash gets dumped back into the top of the malt pipe irrespective of which unit is used.
I have never had a blocked pump and do not use a spider, or bag, I just use a paddle. And still get clear wort into the fermenter.
002.JPG

Short version (for a change 😇) .... I like my brewzilla lots and am happy to work with its limitations most of which appear to be common to almost all electric BIAB systems. My biggest issue is mash pipe capacity in that for higher OG brews I either have to compromise on mash thickness or batch volume. Yes it could heat up to boil faster as @foxy describes but it gives you time to clean up the mash pipe and screens. I haven't seen the overshoot issues related to temperature using the 3.1.1 version but I think using it with the insulation jacket helps - which I keep on all the time.

Anna

Short version (for a change 😇) .... I like my brewzilla lots and am happy to work with its limitations most of which appear to be common to almost all electric BIAB systems. My biggest issue is mash pipe capacity in that for higher OG brews I either have to compromise on mash thickness or batch volume. Yes it could heat up to boil faster as @foxy describes but it gives you time to clean up the mash pipe and screens. I haven't seen the overshoot issues related to temperature using the 3.1.1 version but I think using it with the insulation jacket helps - which I keep on all the time.

Anna
I think you misunderstand me, it doesn't matter how long it takes to get to the boil. I am referring to RGeats dilemma in post 4 attachment. Mashing a Bohemian Pilsner using an undermodified pilsner malt, I think he was going to use the Hochkurz method, or some other step mash. The problem he was having was the speed, or lack of, to ramp up from one step to another.

No matter which SVB there will be some over/undershoot which is why I stir the mash at least for the first half hour, until the starch is mostly converted.

I also check and calibrate if needed the temperature readout on the screen, on my Hopcat I found it to be 5 C above the reading on the screen. Again no matter which unit is being used it is always wise to check the right temperature is on the readout and re calibrate if it is out.

Absolutely agree @foxy, my comment on the time to heat up to a boil was including the issue related to the time it takes to ramp up temperature, ie heat up mash/boil/any. Yes also agree v much on calibration and I keep a temperature probe at the top of the mash too, which can require a bit of monitoring until recirculation at a decent rate can be established.

It's interesting to hear how experiences vary with the pump - I've tried using a strainer like @fury_tea but it got dislodged during the boil, and using loose hops like @foxy I get a blocked pump pretty much every time.

The only solution I've found is to use a bag, but that's somewhat inconvenient as you have to clamp it to the vessel and work around it while chilling/whirlpooling etc.

There is a stainless pump head available which I think may help, because the plastic one has a moulding which restricts the inlet (this is where hops generally clog IME)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001094640461.html
I may order one in due course, or else modify the unit so it can be used with an external pump - at least then if it blocks you can more easily disassemble it for cleaning etc.

The first time i used my brewzilla i got a blocked pump to, which led me to:
  • I never start the pump restricted, always allow full flow (just a few seconds) then dial back.
  • Whilst mashing I always use the overflow pipe with the tea strainer. This allows me to flow more wort through the pump and filter at the same time.
  • Never turn the pump off with the silicon exit pipe submerged, it will drag liquid back with maybe grain if not using top screen.
  • Once the mash is finished that's the pumps job done. Whirlpool with paddle, let it settle for a decent amount of time, transfer to FV using side valve. This will reduce the risk on the brewday and keep a smile on your face.

First time I used the brewzilla was on a dry run and pump was blocked.Dismantled to find twisted hose from factory.What I did notice is you can turn the inlet nut very easily twisting the pipe so be careful as its easy done.
Don't see the point of the malt pipe so have got rid.
Brewday coming up next week so still have a few issues to resolve since my last brew including malt crush which is detrimental.
I find the base screen fiddly and may see about changing that to a thicker SS screen.

Hello,

For the last 12 months, I have been brewing small 8-ish litre brews, BIAB style on my stove top. I have really enjoyed it, made some good beer, and its been a great introduction into all-grain brewing.

I am now looking to upgrade my kit, and I am considering getting a Brewzilla. I have a few questions, if anyone could give me some advice.

1. I have seen a few different brewing systems available, at that price point, is the Brewzilla considered the best option? Or are there other systems that are worth a look? I did look a cheaper options, such as the Maischfest Boiler Mash Kettle, but it doesn't have some of the features that the Brewzilla offers.

2. Is the Brewzilla relativity reliable? I have read a few complaints/niggles from users. I understand that the system has been updated a few times, with the latest one being the best.

3. I have only done no sparge BIAB. How do you sparge on a Brewzilla? I take it you need some other kettle/pot to heat up the water?

And finally, if anyone has any other advice or reviews then that would be great. Just want to make sure I fully understand how it works, and if its the right choice for me.

Thanks
For a separate water boiler for sparge water I got a B grade Klarstien water boiler from a place called Hi FI Tower on internet for 30 quid. The reason it was B grade is because the box was opened for quality checking. It was in mint condition. It also has a temperature control on it too.

Back