Brewzilla Gen 4

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRegent

Regular.
Reaction score
Just noticed that they've removed the central overflow pipe. I wonder what the plan is for safeguarding against overflow. The new style malt pipe doesn't appear to be perforated like the new Grainfathers.

I was a little disappointed with but we'll have to see how well its presented when they launch a video and it gets in the hands of some users.

For me the biggest bugbear they've fixed is adding a kettle lead, I work in IT and stray cables that dont store nicely get on my t**s.
I've used mine with the proscreen and no overflow pipe for about a year with no issues.

I'll be interesting to see if the 65L version makes it to the UK as bigger batches would be my only reason to change. It would either need two sockets or require its own dedicated circuit.

@Eskimo John UK plugs are typically limited to 13amp which would allow around 3kw. You could run higher on a single socket, my consumer unit has 30amp rating on the circuit but its a lot of power to draw for a prolonged period. All it would take to trip it is putting the kettle on or running some other similar device like a dishwasher or washing machine.

What I'm planning on doing when we move is putting in a dedicated circuit for my brewery, nice thick 10mm cable too.

Interesting news, thanks.
What's the issue with the power and uk sockets?

The current 65L has 3 elements which take it over 3kw when all three are switched on. 3kw is the limit for UK domestic sockets with a 13A fuse. It means you would have to get an electrician to put together a custom installation to allow you to use it. That's meant the 65L is a bit of a white elephant in the UK and nobody stocks it. It would be nice if Kegland reconfigured the elements on the 65L so that it was plug and play in the UK. Alternatively, they could provide two power leads like the Brewtools.

I don't have access to a power supply Greater than 13 amps so it looks like that limits me.
The S40 Grainfather looks more attractive now. Does anyone know the power requirements for the smaller 50 (45) litre Brewdevil?
EDIT: Apparently it is a 3Kw element, I don't know if that takes it over the uk 13 amp limit or not but from the post above that looks marginal.

@Eskimo John
Wait to see the specs of the new Brewzilla 65L. There's a new one coming at at the same time as the new 35L. It's just they haven't released the specs yet. They might address the power issue. I would be surprised if they neglected the UK market yet again.

I'm sure all of the UK brewdevils/brewmonk 50l, grandfather G40 are all just under 3kw or bang on so are fine for UK 13amp. The grainfather G40 can be run at 3.3kw if you get the 15amp EU lead and I have a dedicated circuit and socket installed.

I was really looking forward to the Gen 4 but there’s not much here to get excited about. RAPT sounds interesting but I just type all of my post brew-day data into Brewfather.

Also, I already removed the central overflow pipe on my 3.1.1 and just plugged the bottom plate. I’ve not had any overflow issues but if I did, there are holes in the malt pipe for the lifting handle.

I’m also looking to step up in size, so I’ll wait to see the specs for the 65L but I‘m also going to take a closer at all look at the other larger systems now.

By the way, Gen 3 was a disaster, so it might be worth waiting for Gen 4.1.1 ;-)

If you look at the photos, it seems that the drain port passes through the pump before it gets to the tap, meaning there is no way of emptying the vessel without using the pump. That seems a curious design choice. Pump blockages will be a disaster.

That is very strange. I had a pump blockage recently and had to manually empty my BZ into my fermenter using the tap.

If you look at the photos, it seems that the drain port passes through the pump before it gets to the tap, meaning there is no way of emptying the vessel without using the pump. That seems a curious design choice. Pump blockages will be a disaster.
The Grainfather G40 has a similar arrangement. The better bottom plate should prevent pump blockages (on the G40) but you never know!

I was a little disappointed with but we'll have to see how well its presented when they launch a video and it gets in the hands of some users.

For me the biggest bugbear they've fixed is adding a kettle lead, I work in IT and stray cables that dont store nicely get on my t**s.
I've used mine with the proscreen and no overflow pipe for about a year with no issues.

I'll be interesting to see if the 65L version makes it to the UK as bigger batches would be my only reason to change. It would either need two sockets or require its own dedicated circuit.

@Eskimo John UK plugs are typically limited to 13amp which would allow around 3kw. You could run higher on a single socket, my consumer unit has 30amp rating on the circuit but its a lot of power to draw for a prolonged period. All it would take to trip it is putting the kettle on or running some other similar device like a dishwasher or washing machine.

What I'm planning on doing when we move is putting in a dedicated circuit for my brewery, nice thick 10mm cable too.
Intrested to know how you would draw more than 13A from a domestic plug top and socket.

I always empty the BZ into the fermenter using the tap , it must be quicker than using the pump and it doesn't get blocked.

Using the tap also means that the cold break collected at the bottom gets left behind. If you use the pump, it all gets sucked through into the fermenter unless you're using a filter.

Intrested to know how you would draw more than 13A from a domestic plug top and socket.

You would need to have a dedicated circuit. In theory a 30amp circuit could pull nearly 7kw but it would struggle to handle the heat.

your only limited to 13amp because that’s the largest standard fuse you’d get. Remove that fuse (wouldn’t recommend) and then the next one is at the consumer unit so your limit is there, probably 30amp.

At 13amp the fuse is there to protect the circuit not you.

If you have an electric oven your kitchen it’s probably on its own circuit with 6 or 10mm cable and 20amp fuse.

in the new house I’ll run 10mm with a 30amp fuse. I’ll also change the plug to something better suited. And keep a fire extinguisher nearby. With electrics your biggest risk is fire.

Still don’t understand how you “could run higher on a single socket” when using a domestic plug top.

I can only presume you are thinking about using a 16 or 32A commando type plug socket arrangement.

The danger with electricity are DIYers.

I'm sticking with my pimped Guten 70 that's for sure with a smartPID.
IMG_20210909_005212.jpgIMG_20210909_111017.jpg
I've added the hop missile before the counterflow chiller and there's a whirlpool on the inside of the kettle lower tap.

Might be best to wait for a brewzilla 4.1 which should iron out the real world issues.

Back