Brewzilla Gen 4

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read that the Brewzilla Gen 4 35L official video release is about 4 weeks away (I’m guessing that’s why some BrewTubers are quiet…. testing the unit). There will be an add on CIP unit but this will be an additional cost.

In Australia, the 65L will be ready in June and the 100L in November. So we won’t see these in Ireland and the UK until probably next year or maybe never.

No news yet on the power requirements for the 65L but the 100L will come with a 10amp three phase socket as standard but the BZ can also run on 32amp single phase.

it’s not clear if any of the units will come with a sight glass or whether this will be an optional extra.

Kegland has previously said that glass is too fragile and they don’t want to use BPA. That leaves Polycarbonate which will become opaque when cleaned with the typical chemical products.

I read this as you’ll have to buy an add on BPA sight glass yourself so that they can claim that the Gen 4 is BPA free.

Last edited:
I'm sticking with my pimped Guten 70 that's for sure with a smartPID.
View attachment 61768View attachment 61769
I've added the hop missile before the counterflow chiller and there's a whirlpool on the inside of the kettle lower tap.

Might be best to wait for a brewzilla 4.1 which should iron out the real world issues.

I have a hop missile and I love it. I’m convinced that it’s improved my hoppy beers.

And I totally agree with you about waiting for 4.1. But to be honest, my next larger system purchase is looking very unlikely to be a BrewZilla.

@fgoulding
As far as cleaning the sight glass, I have one built in on the Guten and doesn't matter how long you recirculate hot pbw it doesn't clean up.
Needs a really long pipe cleaner or accept that it is always going to be a " dirty " with wort residue.

The Guten 70 big enough for me, needs 15 amp supply but that's still just a different socket here, I was lucky had a separate RCD isolated spur going to only one socket rated for 30 amps to the laundry where I brew so I just fitted a new socket. They are backwards compatible with normal 10A plugs here.

A big klarstein or brewdevil and spend the money pimping it up and brewing!

Me, I'm waiting for the microwave SVB, no pump, return pipe or stirring till my arm hurts. Constant temperature throughout the mash. wink...

@foxy Don't hold your breath for that. SmartPID retrofit on the robobrew etc is very accurate for temp control and does have extra relay if you wanted to build and power mash paddles.

Don't have to hold my breath for long.wink... Even with Smart PID the heating of the mash will have a lot of variable temperatures because of the insulating properties of the mash. A microwave will keep the temperature at the required degrees throughout the whole of the vessel. Ramping temperature will be a lot quicker with microwaves as well.
https://patents.google.com/patent/EP1025201A2This is for commercial units.

The BZ gen 4 has arrived:

In the process of adding an additional mounted control panel like the gen 4 but the best feature is the dish base for easier draining and with CIP. Not enough to change from my BZ 3.1.1 !

I'm sure all of the UK brewdevils/brewmonk 50l, grandfather G40 are all just under 3kw or bang on so are fine for UK 13amp. The grainfather G40 can be run at 3.3kw if you get the 15amp EU lead and I have a dedicated circuit and socket installed.
The G40 sold in the UK is 13 amp only: changing the cable makes no difference. The variable power version is sold on the Australia / NZ market.

That's because our normal plugs are rated to 10A but special sockets ( with a longer prong on the earth blade) can take 15A so you can draw a few more watts. Only useful really if you have low density elements otherwise you'll just scorch stuff. That said the Guten 70 is 3000 watts and needs the 15A socket.
However NZ consumer voltage is 230v +/- 6% which means a low of 216.2v and a high of 243.8v so that wattage will vary.

The G40 sold in the UK is 13 amp only: changing the cable makes no difference. The variable power version is sold on the Australia / NZ market.
I haven't got a G40 so I haven't seen it on practice. But I spoke to a Uk stockist and asked the question about supplying the EU version as it's sold at the higher wattage. They informed me that the UK version has the same elements as the EU version and you can amend the power output via the controller and they had sold the high amp cables to UK G40 customers. Don't think it's advertised as they don't want numpties trying to plug it into a standard socket or amending the settings without the higher rated cable/sockets.

Last edited:
Gen 4 looks really interesting especially the dished base with false bottom. The extendable pipes are a bit of a game changer too. I’d certainly consider one if my trusty Hopcat goes to the great recycling yard in the sky.

The BZ gen 4 has arrived:

In the process of adding an additional mounted control panel like the gen 4 but the best feature is the dish base for easier draining and with CIP. Not enough to change from my BZ 3.1.1 !

I agree. Gen 4 is not compelling enough for me to upgrade from my Gen 3.1.1 in my humble opinion (in fact, many of the accessories that he showed are backwards compatible).

However, I am in the market for a bigger system and the 65L might fit the bill. But I'm going to wait until Gen 4.1.1 because all the big issues will come out once homebrewers get their hands on it.

However, I am in the market for a bigger system and the 65L might fit the bill. But I'm going to wait until Gen 4.1.1 because all the big issues will come out once homebrewers get their hands on it.

I think the Gen 4 65L has the same problem as the Gen 3 in that it is not plug and play for Type G sockets with a 13A fuse (i.e. UK and Ireland). Shame they don't seem to have addressed that. As they now use an IEC lead, I guess it would be easy to switch over to a UK lead without cutting the plug off, but you will still need to have a special socket installed.

I like the idea of having a slightly bigger brewery to the current brewzilla that I have.
I also would like 3000-3500 watt system for a quicker brew on smaller batches and not to slow down double batches time too much. I would be interested in the 65l if it has the power. I like the G40 as it is big enough and has more power than the 30-35l systems. Don't like the S40 as it has the same power as older systems with more volume so will be slower on bigger batches and doesn't offer anymore if just doing standard batch size.
Waiting to see the price comparison with the brewzilla 65l & G40

I think the Gen 4 65L has the same problem as the Gen 3 in that it is not plug and play for Type G sockets with a 13A fuse (i.e. UK and Ireland). Shame they don't seem to have addressed that. As they now use an IEC lead, I guess it would be easy to switch over to a UK lead without cutting the plug off, but you will still need to have a special socket installed.

I had already factored in some form of electrical work for a bigger system but I haven’t seen the detailed specs on the 65L yet…so it’s time for more research!

I haven't got a G40 so I haven't seen it on practice. But I spoke to a Uk stockist and asked the question about supplying the EU version as it's sold at the higher wattage. They informed me that the UK version has the same elements as the EU version and you can amend the power output via the controller and they had sold the high amp cables to UK G40 customers. Don't think it's advertised as they don't want numpties trying to plug it into a standard socket or amending the settings without the higher rated cable/sockets.
I just double checked my G40, and you cannot change the power input in the controller as it stands. The "about" menu says "UK version" with firmware version 1.3. If there is a way of changing things in the controller via a hack or a button combination which takes you into a different set up menu I would like to know about it. There is an option to change boiler power in the GF App, but, as has been well documented (by David Heath among others) this does not work at present. I am hoping for a firmware update soon as I want to use a steam condenser occasionally, and the full boiler power is too much for this. It is also worth saying that the G40 comes to the boil much more quickly than the Brewzilla 3.1 I had before, despite the fact that the published power ratings are similar.

Follow up. I have just looked at the GF40 specs on the website. It states that all models have a 3150W element, so I think you are right and that the controller somehow throttles the UK version back to 2900W. Either that or there is a component in the big plastic box on the underneath. If the power is controlled by some sort of thyristor circuit this could be hacked to give boiler power control.....

Last edited:
Still don’t understand how you “could run higher on a single socket” when using a domestic plug top.

I can only presume you are thinking about using a 16 or 32A commando type plug socket arrangement.

The danger with electricity are DIYers.
Totally with you on that scenario as I've seen people removing fuses and replacing with screws to run a welder at full wack.
A 5 pin commando socket on a 16A/32A supply would be appropriate but would need to be dedicated as tapping off a ring main is not legislated.
1647950536613.png

Might be worth asking on the Australian forum to see what firmware they are using / have installed on the gen 4 65 litre and it might just be a simple upload.

Latest posts

Back