Brewzilla thread to share knowledge, experiences and good practice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often boil close to this level, 70 batches done now and not been caught out yet. I keep a big stainless steel spoon in one hand, have a close by spray bottle and if needed quickly flick the power switch off. I keep both power switches on until boil then only have the more powerful switch on until the foamy hot break has subsided.

Does any one use any thing to stop "boil overs" when starting at 30 ltrs?

I have watched a few you tube videos where gash (home brew network) uses some thing called ferm cap to stop the wort boiling over.Do we have any thing like that in the uk.

Can you prevent it boiling over by stiring the wort as it approches the boil?
Stirring or get a spray bottle of water and spray as it rises. You could also turn off the 500w heater keeping the 1900w which will keep it less vigorous.

Does any one use any thing to stop "boil overs" when starting at 30 ltrs?

I have watched a few you tube videos where gash (home brew network) uses some thing called ferm cap to stop the wort boiling over.Do we have any thing like that in the uk.

Can you prevent it boiling over by stiring the wort as it approches the boil?
Stirring and using water in a spray bottle works for me

Edit:apologies I didn't see Gerry replied. But I agree with him!

Ok all you lucky owners - for someone (me) with limitied experience i.e. I have made 4 Woodford's and Festival kits since starting this in April would you say it is easy enough to adapt to going all grain with a Brewzilla? I am finding and watching videos and intructions at the moment.

I've never tried a mash or a sparge do you think I should just go for it as long as I read all the safety advice and take care with boiling etc? I do have a separate boiler for sparge water - so I at least know that much anyway.

Thanks for any advice. Am doing an extract brew in my kettle this weekend with some grain steeping (again for the first time).

I've looked at Grainfathers but for the money I don't think I would get much extra benefit.

I was like you although kits spaced out over 20 years.

I got a book from our library called kitchen brewing

Simple to make 1 demijon full of all grain beer.

I done this a couple of times with good results which lead me on to buying the brewzilla.

Id would say giving the book a go as you probably got all you need to brew an 8 bottle batch already (ok minus some ingredients)

Brewzilla is just the next logical step.

buddsy

Ok all you lucky owners - for someone (me) with limitied experience i.e. I have made 4 Woodford's and Festival kits since starting this in April would you say it is easy enough to adapt to going all grain with a Brewzilla? I am finding and watching videos and intructions at the moment.

I've never tried a mash or a sparge do you think I should just go for it as long as I read all the safety advice and take care with boiling etc? I do have a separate boiler for sparge water - so I at least know that much anyway.

Thanks for any advice. Am doing an extract brew in my kettle this weekend with some grain steeping (again for the first time).

I've looked at Grainfathers but for the money I don't think I would get much extra benefit.

You'll be fine. I went from kits to extract to Robobrew. I probably did 5 or so extract brews, and to be honest the Robobrew is probably easier as LME and DME are a pain to add even extract brewing. The only thing to say is that full grain obviously takes a fair bit longer to do.

Agree with @RGeats, I restarted brewing this year using DME and while the beer was better than my kit brews years ago, it's a right PITA to work with so you'll be fine @The Cat

I've just done the first AG using the Robobrew and it was alright although the whole process take a little longer than extract.

There's loads of Youtube Robobrew/Brewzilla/GF videos as you've found, so you won't have a problem athumb..

I suspect I'm asking the pre-converted . . .

I'm thinking of getting an All-In-One. I take it they're all a much of a muchness:
  • Brewzilla
  • BrewMonk
  • BrewDevil
  • mibrewery
  • Bulldog
  • Klarstein
Done a bit of research and compared some of the feature that appeal to me and Brewzilla comes out on top.

I should buy one, right?

I'm thinking of getting an All-In-One. I take it they're all a much of a muchness:
  • Brewzilla
  • BrewMonk
  • BrewDevil
  • mibrewery
  • Bulldog
  • Klarstein
Done a bit of research and compared some of the feature that appeal to me and Brewzilla comes out on top.

I should buy one, right?
Yes

@UKSkydiver I went through the same exercise as you and bought the Brewzilla. So while I am one of the converted, it was only after a lot of thought and research.

A lot of the systems on the market are rebadged Guten systems. Nothing wrong with them, but it means many of the systems are much of a muchness, regardless of the brand. I took the view that the Brewzilla seemed to be more built from the ground up and is exclusive to the Brewzilla name (to my knowledge). It compared favourably with the much more expensive Grainfather in online reviews. I think the only reason to get a different system is if you wanted something with a bigger capacity. The 65L Brewzilla is currently impossible to get in the UK unless you import it yourself and I don't think that is likely to change in the near future as it can't be used on a domestic UK supply without a separate electrical installation. However, if you're fine with doing 19 or 23L batches the 35L Brewzilla will serve you well.

Angel Homebrew have a few left in stock and Brewkegtap are taking preorders for a shipment that is due to be sent out in the UK in a couple of weeks.

Bizarre - I've just followed that link and it now says they're sold out! I can honestly say I went on it a few moments ago and it said "Last items in stock".

• Brewzilla
  • BrewMonk
  • BrewDevil
  • mibrewery
  • Bulldog
  • Klarstein

I should buy one, right?

What are you using currently?

Latest posts

Back