Brewzilla whirlpool arm and transfer to fermentor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Make us a brew luv

Reaction score
Hi everybody.
Hoping someone can help.
I have just bought a brewzilla 3.1.1 and got a whirlpool arm with it.
My question is: is it possible to use the pump to transfer my wort to my fermenter using the pump after I've collected a nice trub prymid in the middle. It looks like the Intake from the pump is relatively close to the centre where the rubbish would form. So obviously don't then want to pump all thsi directly into the fermenter.
Also any advice on aerating the wort at this point would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

I always use the pump to transfer into my fv, next to no junk gets transfered.The whirlpool arm does a nice job of making a hop cone.

hc.JPG

My brewzilla sits on the floor when brewing, it is easy to pump the wort straight into the snubnose fv.
Being on the floor makes life easy pulling the malt pipe for me.Saves standing on something to get the malt pipe out.

The only time i use the tap is when running cleaner through it.

I also always use the pump as it also aerates the wort prior to pitching the yeast.

But as I’m a mean brewer, I tilt the Brewzilla at the end to get that last pint or so :-)

Does it matter if you get alot of muck? does this affect the final beer in anyway other than possibly clearing it better. I would be interested to know

I’m sure that some people will say it does effect it the final product but I don’t notice any great difference.

On your point of needing to aerate the wort, the latest tests I have seen are that this is not necessary. Fermentis did a long webinar a year or so ago showing the results from temperature and aeration differences and showed that the aeration (or oxygenation) makes no difference to the strength, speed or outcome of the fermentation. I have given up wasting time bubbling air or oxygen through.

Just filling my FV via the pump creates bubbles. If the yeast needs it or not, doesn’t really matter to me as there’s no effort needed to do it…

Hey everybody. It went well today. I did a dme brew coz I had a batch that needed brewing. However using the pump transfer to the fermenter, although it wad nice and easy, moved lots of proteins in the FV that would usually be left in the pan when using the u bend and the wand. Not sure if this will affect the brew, suppose wel'l find out. I didn't really want to have to take the collection bottle off a bunch of times fro the fermenter to clear it. Still trying to dial everything in. Trying to brew on a regular basis to get these things ironed out. Pic below of how much actual ***** is in there.
I'm also fermenting quite warm and under 20 psi to try a dr hans style lager thing.
20211219_184657.jpg

I just use the tap. My brew shelf has steps so the BZ is low enough to lift the pipe, but high enough to open the tap straight into the fermenter. I run it through a sieve to catch any bits and add aeration.

I use a hop spider so never any real trub pyramid as such, more a layer of silt like residue after adding 1/2 a whirlfloc tablet. Tap level is above this, so I tilt the BZ to capture wort until the solids get close to the output...

I just use the tap. My brew shelf has steps so the BZ is low enough to lift the pipe, but high enough to open the tap straight into the fermenter. I run it through a sieve to catch any bits and add aeration.

I use a hop spider so never any real trub pyramid as such, more a layer of silt like residue after adding 1/2 a whirlfloc tablet. Tap level is above this, so I tilt the BZ to capture wort until the solids get close to the output...
That's exactly what I do too, I don't think there is a right or wrong way

i whirlpool then use the pump with a sieve to get anymore bits out, plus i dont use the bottom plate in the BZ i have replaced it with a Helix coil as the plate kept flipping up during the boil and the clogging the pump.

When it works I love the whirlpool arm, but it's 50/50 for me. I seem to have bits of grain escaped that blocks the pump and I'm already using a hop spider.

Does anyone have any tips to avoid it. Apart from don't let grain escape 😃

Apologies for hijacking

i whirlpool then use the pump with a sieve to get anymore bits out, plus i dont use the bottom plate in the BZ i have replaced it with a Helix coil as the plate kept flipping up during the boil and the clogging the pump.

I think im going to have a go, are you using 1 or 2 coils?

Latest posts

Back