Brexit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately politicians who tell the truth rarely get elected. It's the same old story, people want the benefits of a civil society, but don't want to pay the taxes to fund them. A sensible poltician would say, Brexit was a terrible mistake (which it clearly was), but it'd be electoral death for anyone saying that, because 'you can't tell the public they were wrong'.
Correct the truth is that in many cases, we dont know enough to make decisions like that

Correct the truth is that in many cases, we dont know enough to make decisions like that
I knew that voting to leave the EU would be the disaster it has become, which is why I voted against leaving.

I had voted to join the EU back in 1975 and then watched a lukewarm response, from Politicians of both parties and the Media in the UK, as their powers were reduced.

I then had to sit through a barrage of what I knew to be lies, as England and Wales voted to leave the EU; but Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to stay.

We were members (albeit lukewarm) for about 40 years and had adopted EU Laws and Standards. In today’s “Queen’s Speech” we were told that Boris and his gang will pass laws that will make it easier for us to change them here in the UK.

Does anyone believe we will be better off? I don’t, for the simple fact that I was taught to NEVER trust a liar; and Boris and his gang are certainly that!
:hat:

PS

Remember the brouhaha about the “Common Agricultural Policy” (CAP)?

It was in the UK news for many years as the Media barons complained that the CAP favoured France and the wanted it scrapped.

Eventually, the EU agreed to having the CAP scrapped and suggested that they would start by scrapping the subsidy for all estates over 1,000 hectares.

There was a deathly silence here in the UK at this offer! We didn’t hear anything more because the greatest number of estates over 1,000 hectares was here in the UK!

Remember the promises made before the 2019 Referendum? The Government told the estate owners and farmers that the subsidies would remain the same!

NB
The above was told to me by a French friend when I asked him what had happened to the CAP many years before we had the Referendum!

Does anyone believe we will be better off? I don’t, for the simple fact that I was taught to NEVER trust a liar; and Boris and his gang are certainly that!

Boris didn't have the final say whether we stayed the people made it and two years later we still have the remainers telling those hat voted to leave they got it wrong.

Please read post #168 & #169 in full they were posted in January this year.

Last edited:
Our Achievements so far Taking Back Control The public voted to take back control. This Government has delivered it. Our objective has been to restore the UK’s status as a sovereign, independent country so that we can once again determine our own future. That means changing our rules and regulations to best serve the people’s priorities and returning democratic accountability to our own institutions.

● Ended free movement and taken back control of our borders. In its place we have introduced a points -based immigration system, focused on skilled workers and the best global talent, with skills and salary thresholds and an English - language requirement. The UK has welcomed thousands of workers with the skills the country needs to support our domestic labour market as we build back better from the Covid pandemic, from doctors and scientists to butchers and bricklayers.
● Restored democratic control over our lawmaking. We gave the power to make and scrutinise the laws that apply to us back to our Parliament and the devolved Parliaments so that they are now made in Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh and London, not Brussels.
● Restored the UK Supreme Court as the final arbiter of the law that applies in the UK. UK judges, sitting in UK courts, now determine the law of the land in the UK, with judgments issued in English, not French, and accessible to those who speak Welsh.
● Made it tougher for EU criminals to enter the UK. EU nationals sentenced to a year or more in jail will now be refused entry to the UK. Under EU free movement we had to allow some foreign criminals into the country who would otherwise have been stopped and turned away. We have now brought the rule s for EU criminals who are not protected by the Withdrawal Agreement in line with other foreign criminals.
● Ended the acceptance of ID cards for most EU nationals travelling to the UK. Some ID cards are among the least secure documents seen at the border a nd are, as a rule, not as secure as corresponding national passports. We have already seen a dramatic drop in encounters of fraudulent ID cards at the border.
● Taken back control of our waters. The deal we struck with the EU and our new Fisheries Act allow us to chart a course once again as an independent coastal
state, bringing more quota for British fishermen and new opportunities for our coastal communities from Lerwick and Peterhead at the north-eastern end of Scotland to Brixham and Newlyn at the south-western tip of England.
● Restored fair access to our welfare system. We ended the preferential treatment of EU migrants over non-EU migrants, ensuring that wherever people are born, those who choose to make the UK their home pay into the system for a reasonable period of time before they can access the benefits of it.
● Set our own tariff regime via the UK Global Tariff. Our new UK Global Tariff is more tailored to the needs of the UK economy and denominated in pounds, not euros. We streamlined and simplified nearly 6,000 tariff lines, lowering costs for businesses by reducing administrative burdens, scrapped thousands of unnecessary tariff variations on products and expanded tariff -free trade by eliminating tariffs on a wide range of products.
● Committed £180 million to modernise and streamline our import and export controls by creating the Single Trade Window. This will support our ambition to make the UK the most effective border in the world by 2025 and reduce the cost of trade by streamlining trader interactions with the UK’s border agencies.
● Given UK regulators the ability and the resources to make sovereign decisions about globally significant mergers. Decisions about globally significant mergers and acquisitions are now made by the UK’s Competition and Markets Authority, giving it the ability to block or remedy mergers it considers will harm UK consumers, like S&P Global's acquisition of IHS Markit where the Competition and Markets Authority is currently putting in place remedies to address competition concerns raised by the deal.
● Launched and are undertaking reviews of the status and substance of retained EU law. While it was necessary in the short -term to save a lot of EU law to provide legal certainty when we left the EU, we intend to go further than the changes we have already made and to amend, replace, or repeal all the retained EU law that is not right for the UK. Our reviews are already underway and making good progress. ● Reintroduced our iconic blue passports. All new British passports are now blue, a return to their original appearance, with the colour first introduced in 1921, and updated to be the most technologically -advanced and secure British passports ever, with the carbon footprint from their manufacture reduced to net zero.
● Reviewing the EU ban on imperial markings and sales. This will give businesses and consumers more choice over the measurements they use mperial units like pounds and ounces are widely valued in the UK and are a core part of many people’s British identity.
● Enabling businesses to use a crown stamp symbol on pint glasses. The Crown Stamp is a proud emblem of our heritage that people remain fond of. We have begun the process of allowing it to be used once again, a fitting tribute to Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee.

Last edited:
Our Money and Levelling Up A great part of the sovereign character of a nation is its ability to manage its own money and set its own taxes. We now have control over all aspects of our fiscal policy, the way we procure and how we grant subsidies. Free from prescriptive EU rules, we can unite and level-up the country in a way which suits our own needs.

● No longer paying EU Budget contributions. Leaving the EU has meant that the UK has not had to contribute to the significant new liabilities arising from the EU’s Covid response including, for the first time, the EU’s borrowing of up to €750 billion between 2021–24. We have instead directed our own spending and built our own response tailored to our domestic needs including through the furlough scheme and vaccine procurement. We are able to spend our money on our domestic priorities, improving our NHS, levelling up and achieving net zero .
● £57 billion more for our NHS. We are spending more money on our NHS. By the 2024–2025 financial year our yearly expenditure on our NHS is projected to be £57 billion higher in cash terms than we spent in 2016 –17, or over £1 billion more per week.
● Establishing our own subsidy regime to support British businesses and innovation. We will have greater freedom to design subsidies which deliver both local and national objectives including the economic recovery, levelling -up and net zero. For example, to support research and development, while providing certainty for business investment, supporting fair competition by preventing harmful or distortive subsidies.
● Reforming and simplifying our public procurement rules so that the public sector can buy more local goods and services. We have already enabled goods and services contracts below £138,760 (central government), £213,477 (sub-central authorities) and £5.3 million (construction throughout the public sector) to be reserved for UK suppliers. We are speeding up and simplifying our procurement processes, enabling us to use the £300 billion spent on public procurement each year to generate social value and unle ash opportunities for small businesses, charities and social enterprises to innovate in public service delivery.
● Delivering eight Freeports in England and at least one Freeport in each of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Eligible businesses in our Freeports will have access to a suite of tax reliefs, simplified customs arrangements, a supportive planning environment and support to innovate. Freeports are being developed at: East Midlands Airport; Felixstowe & Harwich; Humber; Liverpool City Region; Plymouth & South Devon; Solent; Thames and Teesside. A total of The Benefits of Brexit: How the UK is taking advantage of leaving the EU 9 £200 million seed capital funding will be provided to support the development of these Freeports.
● Back in control of our own VAT rates. We used our control over our own VAT rates to immediately put an end to the tampon tax as soon as we were free from the EU law mandating it, ending VAT on women’s sanitary products, helping to end period poverty.
● Reforming our alcohol duties. Our new alcohol duties will be simpler for businesses, with a simplified administrative regime, extend small producer reliefs, enhance the UK alcohol industry and reduce taxes for consumers on many products.
● Reducing domestic air passenger duty. Flights between airports in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will see a 50% reduction in air passenger duty in 2023–24, supporting the Union and enabling greater domestic tourism, by reducing the cost of air travel to and from the UK regions by around £112 million.
● Rewriting the rules on support for places and regions to deliver on levelling up. We can now go beyond the limitations of EU funding. We are introducing the £4.8 billion Levelling Up Fund, which will invest in local infrastructure projects that improve everyday life, with £1.7 billion committed in 2022 –23, and will invest £2.6 billion of funding through the UK Shared Prosperity Fund by 2025. The UK Shared Prosperity Fund is the successor to EU funds that were f ragmented and overlapped with domestic programmes. It will better align to our priorities.
● Establishing new Trade and Investment Hubs in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and a second Department for International Trade headquarters in Darlington. These hubs have been established to boost exports and bring the benefits of the Government’s global trade policy to the whole of the UK. The hubs are supporting businesses with better access to major trade markets like India, the US and Japan.

You forgot about the “Blue Passport”, which we were allowed to issue at any time!
I notice that many of your reasons end in “…..ing” which means that after seven years they are still promises
I sincerely hope that they will come to fruition and be for the “benefit of the many” but suspect that they will be for the “benefit of the few”!
:hat:

Last edited by a moderator:
Er …. “Conservative Central Truth Files”?

If you would like to go through all the points and tell us which are lies backed up by facts feel free stating its all tory lies doesn't cut it.

If you would like to go through all the points and tell us which are lies backed up by facts feel free stating its all tory lies doesn't cut it.
Is there any site where we can just copy and paste a response to all the points?

Document is a bit biased no. The foreword is by Boris.

I did say earlier -

I did say earlier -
Maybe later. Bit busy at the moment.
Is there a site where I can just copy and paste arguments against each point.
Maybe with a foreword with someone who's not Boris Johnson.
Jimmy Nail perhaps?

I am no tory apologist, it boils my **** when I read statement accusing all those that voted brexit of being wrong for doing so and that everything they said was lies and the leavers blindly believed them and voted without giving any thought to what they were voting for, I will challenge that view every time someone posts it.
By copy and pasting bullet points from a PDF published by the government that campaigned for Brexit?

Last edited by a moderator:
By copy and pasting bullet points from a PDF published by the government that campaigned for Brexit?

Go back and read post #167 i have already explained why i posted that.

If you are going to quote me then challenge what i have said at least do the decent thing and post the full quote, i have fixed that for you.

I have read post 167 and am none the clearer why you posted bullet points from a Conservative document that is extremely biased at best.

Thank you for fixing my post 185.

Latest posts

Back