Brexit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am no tory apologist, it boils my **** when I read statement accusing all those that voted brexit of being wrong for doing so and that everything they said was lies and the leavers blindly believed them and voted without giving any thought to what they were voting for, I will challenge that view every time someone posts it.
Fair enough. I don't think that of most Brexit voters, either. Some of them, yes. Many of the others... well let's not pick that scab and hope that it heals.
We're in a right pickle with this current shower. I can't remember any precedent and I'm struggling to imagine, quite frankly, how, without a complete overhaul of the system and a proper constitution and proportional representation, we're ever going to become a respectable nation. We need politicians and we need government; that politics in the UK has become so disreputable is a full-blown disaster. blah, blah blah. What are we going to do about it?

I have read post 167 and am none the clearer why you posted bullet points from a Conservative document that is extremely biased at best.

As i cannot be bothered to go round in circle i will leave it there, goodnight.

Goodnight
Try and make a difference and vote Reform - nothing to lose IMO. Ive voted MRLP and Lady Penelope! In fact the last election I wrote some obscenities on the card and posted it. It made me fell better but achieved nothing. There are some very good MPs out there mainly on the backbenches, who know full well that they will never have a coveted ministerial post but are principled enough to stand up to the PM - Andrew Bridgen for instance.

Try and make a difference and vote Reform - nothing to lose IMO.
Sorry I am from a different country.
I voted Sinn Fein and the Greens in our last election.
I also gave Fine Gael a preference as their local TD is great.
I think I gave almost every party a preference last time except Fianna Fail.

I started at the last:

“TRADE AND INVESTMENT HUBS”
Announced 23rd March 2022
“550 staff are expected to be present in the hubs by 2025, with an ambition to increase this to 750 staff by 2030.

An existing DIT Hub in Edinburgh announced in September last year, will see a significant increase in headcount following its relaunch today.”

Today’s Queen's Speech:

“My Government will continue to champion international trade, delivering jobs across the country and growing the economy. Legislation will be introduced to enable the implementation of the United Kingdom’s first new Free Trade Agreements since leaving the European Union [Trade (Australia and New Zealand) Bill].”

So ONE Free Trade Agreement after seven years? I doubt if that will need seven hubs!
:D

FREEPORTS
“The EU is the only place where these [free ports] really don’t exist…”
Rishi Sunak MP, 1 August 2019

“[We can] use that opportunity of Brexit to do the kind of things that we’ve been precluded from doing for decades, including free ports…”
James Cleverly MP, 2 August 2019

Both statements are simply incorrect, especially to say that the EU has stopped the UK from having free ports for decades.

There are free ports in the EU and there were free ports in the UK until 2012, when UK legislation establishing them expired.

TAKEN BACK CONTROL OF OUR WATERS

Really?

“The UK agreed catch limits for 2022 for six jointly managed fish stocks in the North Sea with Norway and the European Union on 10 December (2021).”

The negotiations with the EU continue and are focussed on the setting of total allowable catches (TACs) for bilateral UK-EU stocks and a range of related technical measures.”

Another unfulfilled promise that will continue until 2026 at the earliest.

May I suggest that a read of the BBC Reality Team Report Dated 23rd December 2021 would help people who may be confused …

… and remind everyone that UK waters were virtually fished out by 1954 (*); this being the start of the “Cod Wars” between the UK and Iceland.

After the above three elements I just lost interest in the whole Posts.

My Mam had a brilliant saying:

“There’s non as deaf as those
who don’t want to listen!”

I agree, even if I am one of the “deaf” people who cannot believe that the Tories are suddenly “for the many”. This may be because another one of my Mam’s sayings was:

“A leopard never changes its spots!”
:hat:

(*)
Sorry, the first Cod War kicked off in 1958 an not as I stated!

Last edited:
Vote Tory out and hope Starmer or whoever replaces him will turn out to be a good leader and sort the mess out.
Chippy has bid us goodnight and gone home to walk the dog so I'll quote rather than reply. (even if it looks the same).
Chippy sums up perfectly what's wrong with us. We're too nice, too polite, too subservient, too British. Government doesn't govern by right, not even by consent, but by appointment. We have a right to expect a certain standard in those we have chosen to govern and represent us. The big con is that it's HM's government. Really? We appoint and we should sack those who abuse the position. Nothing to do with party politics, that's an issue for democracy.
Why is it, do you imagine, that there's no mechanism for the electorate to call for an election?
Oh, because we elected them to represent us and make those decisions for us. A bit circular, isn't it!

Chippy sums up perfectly what's wrong with us. We're too nice, too polite, too subservient, too British. Government doesn't govern by right, not even by consent, but by appointment. We have a right to expect a certain standard in those we have chosen to govern and represent us. The big con is that it's HM's government.

The problem as I have said many times it the system is bent and as long as it stays the same people will carry on votine Labour or Conservative as there is little point voting for the others as they will never win and by voting for them you may get a government you don't want.

The problem as I have said many times it the system is bent and as long as it stays the same people will carry on votine Labour or Conservative as there is little point voting for the others as they will never win and by voting for them you may get a government you don't want.
This is true in a FPTP system. You would get fairer governance with PR, yet Westminster lags behind the Scottish Govt on this....

This is true in a FPTP system. You would get fairer governance with PR, yet Westminster lags behind the Scottish Govt on this....

The Turkeys will never vote for Christmas on a reform.

The system is Bent AF.

Was never a fan of Brexit, thought the remain campaign was embarrassing too. Cannot believe we are still at each others throats about it nearly 6 years on

Back