Brexit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
…. it's as clear as day that the EU are using this as a 'punishment', ….
What is clear to me, is that the UK Government should NOT have agreed something and then ignore or change it, when they found it difficult to apply!

I don’t see that the EU is “using this as a ‘punishment’” and ask “What happened to the phrase ‘My word is my bond!’?”
:hat:

The government's chief law officer has received legal advice that it would be lawful to override parts of the post-Brexit treaty for Northern Ireland.

This is good news, but regardless, we just need to make the changes required. Remainers would probably say we should have seen this coming, but it's as clear as day that the EU are using this as a 'punishment', despite the fact that the troubles in NI could so easily kick off again.
Please explain this to me

The government's chief law officer has received legal advice that it would be lawful to override parts of the post-Brexit treaty for Northern Ireland.

This is good news, but regardless, we just need to make the changes required. Remainers would probably say we should have seen this coming, but it's as clear as day that the EU are using this as a 'punishment', despite the fact that the troubles in NI could so easily kick off again.
Would it not be easier to let the people of N. Ireland have a vote on the protocol. The protocol is meant to run for two years then the people have a vote. Business here are looking to turn the protocol into an advantage for them. Anything to give them a competitive edge and attract much needed investment.

Sorry double post

Last edited:
Would it not be easier to let the people of N. Ireland have a vote on the protocol. The protocol is meant to run for two years then the people have a vote. Business here are looking to turn the protocol into an advantage for them. Anything to give them a competitive edge and attract much needed investment.
I think the issue is there are only really three options (which are never communicated by the British Gov to the public)
1: Soft Brexit (unacceptable to hard Brexiters)
2: Border on the Island of Ireland (unacceptable to the ROI government, Nationalists, US gov & contravenes Good Friday Agreement)
3: Border in the Irish Sea; The current arrangement (unaceptable to Unionists as it undermines Northern Irelands position as part of the UK)

I think the issue is there are only really three options (which are never communicated by the British Gov to the public)
1: Soft Brexit (unacceptable to hard Brexiters)
2: Border on the Island of Ireland (unacceptable to the ROI government, Nationalists, US gov & contravenes Good Friday Agreement)
3: Border in the Irish Sea; The current arrangement (unaceptable to Unionists as it undermines Northern Irelands position as part of the UK)
Politics should be removed from it as much as possible. Sit down with business and work through any difficulties they are having.
Unfortunately this is a pipe dream, the DUP will not allow the protocol to work. You only have to look at the stunt Edwin Poots pulled at the port's.
All eye's will be on them tomorrow, it's time to nominate a speaker to allow the assembly to function.

I once used the “Playing the Devil’s Advocate” phrase at a Church Meeting and was brought up immediately by my Priest,
I mentioned the Harry Potter books to a coworker, some innocent question or another.
She told me she wasn't allowed to read or discuss Harry Potter and it was some bad thing to do with witchcraft.

Staying on topic: As far as Brexit and exports, send more of those Jammy Dodgers our way.

It's all very well posting those government points but who voted for what they got?
The leave side of the referendum said we'd stay in the single market, they campaigned on that, there'd be no tariffs, no problem with N Ireland.
And what have we got??

It's all very well posting those government points but who voted for what they got?
The leave side of the referendum said we'd stay in the single market, they campaigned on that, there'd be no tariffs, no problem with N Ireland.
And what have we got??

You load 16 tons VOTE TORY what do you get?

And what have we got??
In fairness May tried to deliver a soft Brexit. This included staying in the single market. Unfortunately the DUP put an end to that and voted for a hard Brexit. Now we have the protocol, you couldn't make this stuff up

● Made it tougher for EU criminals to enter the UK. EU nationals sentenced to a year or more in jail will now be refused entry to the UK. Under EU free movement we had to allow some foreign criminals into the country who would otherwise have been stopped and turned away. We have now brought the rule s for EU criminals who are not protected by the Withdrawal Agreement in line with other foreign criminals.
Below is copy and pasted from Byline times

‘MADE IT TOUGHER FOR EU CRIMINALS TO ENTER THE UK’
Despite its tough rhetoric on crime, as few as nine people were convicted in the UK for offences relating to the facilitation of small boat crossings in 2021, as revealed by Byline Times. This is despite the Government’s ostensible push to clamp-down on traffickers transporting people across the Channel.

The following article examines the effects (or lack of) of the UK's tighter migration laws

https://www.infomigrants.net/en/pos...s-in-little-more-than-political-muscleflexing
Below is a copy & paste from same article.

According to official government figures, more than 4,000 people have attempted to cross the English Channel from the French coast during the first five months of 2021. And according to the BBC, there was a new record broken last month -- more than 2,000 crossings were attempted in June.

Totally lost count of how manys left now. 95 or 94?

Totally lost count of how manys left now. 95 or 94?

I think i need a much bigger keep net and i definitely don't need to use any more ground bait ;)

Here's another big one, get in. :laugh8:

200w.webp

● Taken back control of our waters. The deal we struck with the EU and our new Fisheries Act allow us to chart a course once again as an independent coastal
state, bringing more quota for British fishermen and new opportunities for our coastal communities from Lerwick and Peterhead at the north-eastern end of Scotland to Brixham and Newlyn at the south-western tip of England.
I think I've 93 to go now.
Article below examines the negative effects of Brexit on the UK fishing industry.

https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2022/research/brexit-fisheries-deliver/
  • Despite government statements that Brexit would result in hundreds of thousands of tonnes of extra catch for UK fishermen, the research calculated that the increase will only reach 107,000 tonnes per year, or 12.4% by value for all species, by 2025.
  • UK fisheries management also continues in a state of interdependence with significant EU access to UK waters remaining, including in the six to 12 nautical miles off the UK coast, which the government claimed would be kept exclusively for UK boats.
  • New regulations and logistical barriers brought in by the Brexit trade deal also mean that exporting fish and seafood costs more and takes longer, so fish is less fresh and customers have been lost, the researchers say.

Back