Briarbank homebrew competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I don't think this has been posted to the forum yet. Briarbank bar and brewery are opening a competition, prize is brew it on their kit. There is something about getting a free meal at their bar which sounds like a better prize. If you're interested: https://briarbank.org/brewery/homebrew-competition/categories/

Seems a bit more relaxed than the standard bjcp competition, with styles defined far more loosely. Not sure if I will enter though.

I don't think this has been posted to the forum yet. Briarbank bar and brewery are opening a competition, prize is brew it on their kit. There is something about getting a free meal at their bar which sounds like a better prize. If you're interested: https://briarbank.org/brewery/homebrew-competition/categories/

Seems a bit more relaxed than the standard bjcp competition, with styles defined far more loosely. Not sure if I will enter though.
You entering then @jceg316? Posted off some lagers yesterday (possible the worst choice of beer style for a competition like this)...

Never-mind, it's about the judges feedback for me anyway.

You entering then @jceg316? Posted off some lagers yesterday (possible the worst choice of beer style for a competition like this)...

Never-mind, it's about the judges feedback for me anyway.
I couldn't, even if I wanted to. All my beers went bad during this period and still doing trial brews to see if the infection has gone. The only drinkable beer I have is an imperial stout and it doesn't adhere to these guidelines.

Lager is an interesting choice, if it's a pils/helles then it comes down to technique more than recipe. I really enjoy traditional lagers and would like to see more British breweries do them well. Good luck!

I couldn't, even if I wanted to. All my beers went bad during this period and still doing trial brews to see if the infection has gone. The only drinkable beer I have is an imperial stout and it doesn't adhere to these guidelines.

Lager is an interesting choice, if it's a pils/helles then it comes down to technique more than recipe. I really enjoy traditional lagers and would like to see more British breweries do them well. Good luck!
So they did, any joy finding the cause yet?

Interesting indeed, but it's all I had available at the time. I enjoy a good lager, and I enjoy making them because there's nowhere to hide and faults are so easily noticed. A good way to force improvement on your brewing. Needless to say, I'm very much still working on the latter!

So they did, any joy finding the cause yet?

Interesting indeed, but it's all I had available at the time. I enjoy a good lager, and I enjoy making them because there's nowhere to hide and faults are so easily noticed. A good way to force improvement on your brewing. Needless to say, I'm very much still working on the latter!
I think it was either my Grainfather, CF chiller, or both. But with these things the bug gets spread around so everything needs to be bleached. I've made 3 beers since properly cleaning and sterilising my equipment and so far they seem fine. I have a lager which is taking a while to ferment, but last sample it didn't taste infected. I have an IPA which I reckon is ready and smells great, and I have a stout which is fermenting rather vigorously.I'd like to think I have got rid of it but it's still early days.

What type of lager did you send in? The last lager I made which came out well was a Czech pils and used Wy2124, but I felt the yeast had a bit of a thin mouthfeel.

I think it was either my Grainfather, CF chiller, or both. But with these things the bug gets spread around so everything needs to be bleached. I've made 3 beers since properly cleaning and sterilising my equipment and so far they seem fine. I have a lager which is taking a while to ferment, but last sample it didn't taste infected. I have an IPA which I reckon is ready and smells great, and I have a stout which is fermenting rather vigorously.I'd like to think I have got rid of it but it's still early days.

What type of lager did you send in? The last lager I made which came out well was a Czech pils and used Wy2124, but I felt the yeast had a bit of a thin mouthfeel.
Glad to hear you’re getting there. CF chillers and plate chillers can hide a lot of nasties. Always fancied a plate chiller, but cba with the cleaning.

Wrt lager, it’s an American lager. Wyeast Pilsner and lager malt/maize. See how we get on...

Latest posts

Back