Bri's 2018 brewing attemps :-)

Discussion in 'Beer Brewdays!' started by Manxnorton, Apr 6, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating using the link above.
  1. May 14, 2018 #21

peebee

peebee

peebee

Out of Control

That's a bit mean. We've all got Internet connected computers and there are loads of online converters* (e.g. https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/, but I in no way recommend Brewers Friend) or perhaps use a tool for logging and formulating recipes that has a built in converter (I use "Beersmith").

I tried going back to hydrometers recently. Getting a big enough sample out of the fermenter was a pain (deciding whether it's safe to put back is a bigger pain). And trying to read the hydrometer through the murky soup that is fermenting beer was near impossible. And fermenting gas attaches to the hydrometer and distorts the reading.

And hydrometers break as soon as look at them.

*Online calculators are getting increasingly more complicated as they get tweaked for more and more unimportant accuracy. Just use the "Brix" reading (e.g. ignore "Brewers Friend" "Brix WRI" garbage, it means little more than just plain Brix) and leave any "wort correction factor" at 1 (or default, its sometimes 1.04). For some reason "Brewers Friend" calculates "FG" - ignore that, its not FG its what ever the gravity reading is now.

Manxnorton likes this.
  2. May 14, 2018 #22

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

Regular. Supporting Member

I think @foxbat post was pointing out the reason for @Manxnorton reading discrepancy rather than an a diatribe on refractometer use.

Nice organised brewday you've got going there Manxnorton, I like the cut of your jib.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Manxnorton likes this.
  3. May 14, 2018 #23

peebee

peebee

peebee

Out of Control

Nope. I got the impression @foxbat was damning refractometers not just pointing out the reasons for the reading discrepancy. I'd be pretty fed up if I thought I had to go back to using fragile hydrometers. Hence I argued (admittedly rather long-windedly) to the contrary. @Manxnorton will choose one way or the other.

4. May 14, 2018 #24

foxbat

foxbat

foxbat

I use my refractometer throughout brewday but once the yeast goes in it's back to my hydros - a pair of unbreakable precision scale herculometers from beerhawk (8 quid each). I too got tired of sweeping up hydrometer glass.

Manxnorton and peebee like this.
  5. May 14, 2018 #25

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Regular.

I was curious so ran those numbers through my spreadsheet and they work out fine, assuming 1.050 OG which i found in an earlier post. The refractomenter reading adjusts to 1.016, so your as close as can be expected in my experience. Looks a great colour, nice work.

Manxnorton likes this.
  6. May 16, 2018 at 2:35 PM #26

Manxnorton

Manxnorton

Manxnorton

Senior Member Supporting Member

7. May 16, 2018 at 2:42 PM #27

Manxnorton

Manxnorton

Manxnorton

hahaha!!
    love a bit banter...
    ive been using hydrometers for 33 years n ive lost count of many I smashed lol.
    this new fangled reflacthingy is a good bit of kit mind!
    just like getting my old sniper scope sorted...
    bri

BeardedMag likes this.
  8. May 16, 2018 at 4:16 PM #28

peebee

peebee

peebee

Out of Control

Hello Brian.

Aye, I admit to trying to be a little bit abrasive so as to get someone to make an accusing sort of reply. Then I can pounce!

I enjoy winding up the Muggles, but I think they've got wind of me (I don't think my avatar of looney Vince from TV's "Rex the Runt" helps me. Another thread I've got going at the moment probably doesn't help me either - the one where I cry for help because I forgot to put hops in my beer!).

Yeah I like them refractometers, I reckon you look dead cool holding it up to one eye (I've got two eyes, but like Vince they don't agree with each other). I wouldn't give a glass hydrometer three seconds in my hands; holding on to a cup of tea is scary enough. But them "Herculometers" posted about earlier look good.

Paul

BeardedMag likes this.
  9. May 16, 2018 at 9:22 PM #29

Norfolk79

Norfolk79

Norfolk79

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Talking of refractometers, I’ve always found mine a bit difficult to read accurately. The brew I did on Sunday the pre boil reading I could read very easily, but the post boil was more tricky. Dawned on me as it was an early start to the brew day I didn’t put my contact lenses in until part way through the boil.

I guess when you’re looking through the sight scope at point blank range, contact lenses for short sightedness obviously don’t help matters! At least I know now!

Manxnorton likes this.
  10. May 17, 2018 at 6:47 PM #30

Manxnorton

Manxnorton

Manxnorton

bloody 'ell we got a right threesome here!!! haHAHA!!!
    I cant use my right eye properly to use the reflacthingy...coz I cant focus properly anymore with the left side of body is knackered...mind I was a crap shot anyways...a marksman in automatic though.. lol.
    don't think anyone heard of seen me get upset in this forum, to me its just a forum....and I don't know who's on the otherside of the keyboard..they could be 3 stone wet through and as soft as crap!!!
    I just laugh, I take the p out of myself more than anyone....light hearted and full of life....don't take things seriously.....lol
    this pic a fews year ago sums me up.....stupid crazy n not functioning....lol
    bri

Attached Files:

Norfolk79 likes this.
  11. May 18, 2018 at 12:39 PM #31

Manxnorton

Manxnorton

Manxnorton

The cream ale is still bubbling away after a week(a long hose blow of tube) !! Maybe looking at it 1.014-1.012...
    So finking!! (Here I go again..lol)
    Instead of dry hopping in the secondary dry hops today...Mandarina Bavaria four day..
    That give me time for the ferment to finish..and cold crash it.
    Rack off into eirher the SS brewbucket or my bottling bucket
    Using the bottling wand..
    Maybe bottling Tuesday!!!
    Bri

Norfolk79 likes this.