Bri's Sous Vide-GrainFather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Took my tiny battered brain to get to use the GF, but today is D-Day.
Ive Put all my cooking on my YouTube channel as the brewing.
So if anyone wants to view them, maybe subscribe, like share and that good whatsitchops i'd be really stoked as they down under.
I1CCAJG.jpg

xSuTfHO.jpg

XWDRbQc.jpg

jKHX9Ce.jpg

ZBbkEbV.jpg

Jb8pjz1.jpg

6af1SIA.jpg

qtrpxoL.jpg

5bPrmb8.jpg

Looking farward to see the result tbh, its holding the temp at least.
TBC.
Bri

Nice. I only got an immersion circulator for sous vide just this xmas, I used my mash tun (32l cool box) for cooking a leg of lamb a couple of weeks ago, otherwise I've just used an old 11l pot for pork chops etc.

Nice. I only got an immersion circulator for sous vide just this xmas, I used my mash tun (32l cool box) for cooking a leg of lamb a couple of weeks ago, otherwise I've just used an old 11l pot for pork chops etc.
Thanks for replying.
I done boneless leg in my 11L thingy, maybe you seen on my channel of that.
Thinking longer hose for recurculation the water whilst sous vide, but the steaks came out perfect without.
Bri

Dry run ahead of throwing a big party for my work colleagues once the Covid crisis abates.
2.5kg of pork shoulder. Dry rub; salt, white pepper, black pepper, paprika, onion salt, thyme, oregano
18 hours at 74C, then a final toot in a hot over to crisp the edges.
The BBQ sauce was made by my daughter, which was yum.

All very easy to scale up. 10L of some sort of pseudo-lager in a keg and I'll be golden!

Last night - 10pm
IMG_1225.jpeg

Tonight - 6pm
IMG_1227.jpeg

Looks great! I'm going to try some lamb chumps this weekend.
I just invested in a sous vide stick (half price on Nisbets, get in!). Do you find the balls are worth bothering with? I'm guessing they just help keep things submersed and cut down on evaporation?

Yes, the balls are great to prevent evaporation, but don’t help much with submersion. The other option for evaporation is to cover the pot with cling film.
Amazon were offering a vacuum packer a while back for around £20. It’s far better than trying to displace the air out of Ziploc bags in the sink, and it’s the expanding air that makes food float. I also had a couple of Ziploc bags burst, which was really annoying.
I use the vacuum packer a lot for general food storage in the freezer, so it was well worth the purchase.

Great thanks. I use a chamber vac packer at work so I'm lucky I can pack all my food up there and sous vide it at home. I've ordered a GN pot with a lid for the sous vide, so don't reckon I will need the balls after all.
I can get bags rated for 102C for work. Would happily post some out at cost if you wanted some. Got various sizes.

Using Lakeland’s roll, it’s worked well for me since I got the packer, but thank-you.
It’s not just low and slow that’s great. You’ve got to try Sous Vide steak. Here’s No.2 son doing a cote de boeuf a couple of weeks ago. 45 mins at 55C then scorchio.View attachment 25287View attachment 25288
Using Lakeland’s roll, it’s worked well for me since I got the packer, but thank-you.
It’s not just low and slow that’s great. You’ve got to try Sous Vide steak. Here’s No.2 son doing a cote de boeuf a couple of weeks ago. 45 mins at 55C then scorchio.View attachment 25287View attachment 25288

That looks amazing

Back