British app for home brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The late Graham Wheeler (author or Brew Your Own British Real Ale) developed a piece of software called Beer Engine which is all I've ever used. I can't compare it to other similar software, but I find if easy to use and it's aimed at the UK market, though I don't think it has as many bells and whistles as others.

I'm afraid I don't have a link for it, but the Jim's Beer Kit forum, you'll find one. I think that at the time of his death Graham was working on a new (or ar least updated version) with someone else who has carried on with the development with a few others.

As far as I know it's still free, but no mobile version os available.

Am I the only one waving the flag for Beer Tools which has a app to pull up your recipes on a mobile device.

Am I the only one waving the flag for Beer Tools which has a app to pull up your recipes on a mobile device.

I used it many years ago via the windows app, I thought it was okay at the time, not sure if its changed a lot since, it has a big following in the States and lots of recipes on there web portal, I'm not sure if it has a big following in the UK?

I don't think anybody is relying on these apps to create recipes for them. They are a good way of keeping track of your recipes and great for all the essential brewday calculations. Recipe design and mucking about with the software is a big part of the fun for me.
I use Beer Tools which has a decent recipe generator just put in parameters grain etc and it gives you quantities needed and a report of how it will be when brewed. I find this very useful as it can be saved and tweaked which is very good for new people using software.

The late Graham Wheeler (author or Brew Your Own British Real Ale) developed a piece of software called Beer Engine which is all I've ever used. I can't compare it to other similar software, but I find if easy to use and it's aimed at the UK market, though I don't think it has as many bells and whistles as others.

I'm afraid I don't have a link for it, but the Jim's Beer Kit forum, you'll find one. I think that at the time of his death Graham was working on a new (or ar least updated version) with someone else who has carried on with the development with a few others.

As far as I know it's still free, but no mobile version os available.

I have been using Grahams one for years. I have tried a lot of the new fangled ones but always come back to Grahams one. OK it is basic but it tells me all I need to know. Since I switched to a grainfather I do use their app but will use Grahams one to work out OG. bitterness etc.

Wow, perhaps you should write a beer recipe book?
Thank you for your comment.

BrewFather has a feature called "Library" that presently has over 1600 recipes in it that were developed by homebrewers all over the world. I am sure you could find a few that would match up to your tastes.

Coincidentally - I've just emailed them about this exact thing. I did not know it may be already in the pipeline.
Quite a lot of people have asked for it, and nothing seemed to be happening, but last time I mentioned on Facebook that I would really like it adding, Thomas asked for the spec sheets, and details of how it effects water chemistry, so i'm assuming its on his to do list.

Thank you for your comment.

BrewFather has a feature called "Library" that presently has over 1600 recipes in it that were developed by homebrewers all over the world. I am sure you could find a few that would match up to your tastes.
Yes, I do browse there to get ideas, will contribute once I get a few good original recipes developed.

Another vote for the tried, tested and trusted Beer Engine here. Sometimes the simple things are the best.
Can't comment on smart phone apps really as all the ones I've tried have all been overcomplicated for my needs.

Cheers. Tom

I've been using Brewers Friend since I started AG brewing last year and I was getting on with it ok but after the recommendations here I just tried BrewFather and blimey it's much, much better. The main things that annoyed me about Brewer's Friend:
  • low speed of the interface
  • buggy inventory management
  • inconsistent use of of units.
Brewfather fixes all of these, particualry the UI responsiveness which is 10x better, but I do have some issues already:
  • I find the presentation of information notably worse (harder to parse due to the minimal design)
  • Only price per gram for hops in inventory which means I have to do the maths myself
  • No citric acid or CRS? How long would that take to add for pete's sake?
So I'm now a Brewfather convert!

Is Beersmith out of fashion now?

Seems to be. As much as I've used it in the past, and it was good for what it did, I always found it pretty clunky to use. The UI was a bit outdated and could be tricky to find certain things. I started using Brewfather earlier this year and I find it far more modern and usable. Feel like Beersmith has had its time, plus it's double the price of Brewfather

I was a Brewers Friend chap, having tried most of the others, but was always cheesed off with their payment method that insisted on payment in USD$ which meant I ended up paying a currency exchange fee in top. Then I tried Brewfather. It's great, and I find it really easy to get on with.

Seems to be. As much as I've used it in the past, and it was good for what it did, I always found it pretty clunky to use. The UI was a bit outdated and could be tricky to find certain things. I started using Brewfather earlier this year and I find it far more modern and usable. Feel like Beersmith has had its time, plus it's double the price of Brewfather

I've moved over to brewfather now, it's really good

Back