British Bitters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort off, I’ve done my fair share of those as it’s a style I like a lot ((cwtch, 5am et) However they include some dark malts, hints of coffee and chocolate etc. and I’m after something a bit lighter with more caramel/toffee. Sort of amber like spitfire or doombar maybe.
Replace the dark malts with some crystal?

I know this goes right against the grain and is maybe bordering on heresy but I much prefer comercial bottled bitters compared to pub draughts. For me they are more lively and cleaner. I love Bottled shepherd neame beers as they are nice and hoppy but am also a fan of more malty bottled beers like Tim Taylor and black sheep amongst others.

I want to make an ESB but more to the commercial bottled style ( although will be racked To a keg.) than typical pub draught.

I think I read somewhere on here that some breweries actually use different yeasts for batches that will be bottled ( in fermentation not just to bottle condition) so that Could be an option, so I’m thinking of using A typical ESB malt profile but maybe a clean US yeast, carbonating well and may combine some uk hops with some new world.

Has anyone any thoughts or tips?
Sounds good to me. I use US 05 as default yeast for many beers, including English styles. They are definitely "cleaner" tasting than other yeasts, more "in Style". So - ESB Grain Bill, whatever hops to bitter and your choice of finishing hops, especially US "C" hops. That was a tip from the local Bank Top brewery, when I poked my nose in a couple of years ago.

Sounds good to me. I use US 05 as default yeast for many beers, including English styles. They are definitely "cleaner" tasting than other yeasts, more "in Style". So - ESB Grain Bill, whatever hops to bitter and your choice of finishing hops, especially US "C" hops. That was a tip from the local Bank Top brewery, when I poked my nose in a couple of years ago.
I’ll give that a go. In the end this time I went have ordered ingredients for zombie dust. ESB yeast , some crystal Munich and melodidon malt in there with citra.

Latest posts

Back